BELTON, Texas — The Mary Hardin-Baylor Crusaders started their road toward a potential third straight trip to the Stagg Bowl with a 27-6 win over the Hardin-Simmons Cowboys on Saturday. This was a rematch for the American Southwest Conference rivals, as UMHB beat the Cowboys, 26-0, earlier this season.
The Crusaders (11-0) will host Berry this weekend in a second-round Division III playoff game this coming weekend at Crusader Stadium.
UMHB won the game with a little bit of everything. Running back Markeith Miller kicked off the scoring with a 4-yard touchdown run in the first quarter. That was followed by Reginald Cole’s 88-yard interception return for a touchdown. UMHB QB Jase Hammack threw a 58-yard touchdown pass to Aaron Sims, while Anthony Avila kicked two second-half field goals to put the game out of reach.
Miller ended up rushing for 110 yards on 27 carries. Hammack threw for 125 yards, a touchdown and an interception, while Sims had two catches for 62 yards.
Bryson Hammonds provided Hardin-Simmons with its only score of the game, a 21-yard touchdown run in the second quarter that cut the Cru’s lead to 14-6 at the time. Hammonds had a huge game in the loss, rushing for 125 yards and catching six passes for 34 yards.
Hardin-Simmons’ season ended with a 9-2 record, its only losses coming at the hands of the Crusaders.
- Stadium Q&A: Ross-Ade Stadium, Purdue - February 7, 2019
- Stadium Video: Faurot Field, Missouri - February 5, 2019
- 2019 FBS Coaching Changes: American Athletic Conference - February 4, 2019
- CFA Traditions: Alfred Saxons Football - February 3, 2019
- Stadium Video: Houck Stadium, Southeast Missouri - February 2, 2019
- College Football America Yearbook 2019 Update: Feb. 1 - February 1, 2019
- Valdosta State wins D2 national title - December 15, 2018
- UMHB Crusaders win Stagg Bowl, 24-16 - December 15, 2018
- Ferris State takes down Ouachita Baptist in D2 playoffs - December 2, 2018
- UMHB rolls past Hardin-Simmons in Division III first-round playoff win - November 18, 2018