BELTON, Texas — The Mary Hardin-Baylor Crusaders started their road toward a potential third straight trip to the Stagg Bowl with a 27-6 win over the Hardin-Simmons Cowboys on Saturday. This was a rematch for the American Southwest Conference rivals, as UMHB beat the Cowboys, 26-0, earlier this season.
The Crusaders (11-0) will host Berry this weekend in a second-round Division III playoff game this coming weekend at Crusader Stadium.
UMHB won the game with a little bit of everything. Running back Markeith Miller kicked off the scoring with a 4-yard touchdown run in the first quarter. That was followed by Reginald Cole’s 88-yard interception return for a touchdown. UMHB QB Jase Hammack threw a 58-yard touchdown pass to Aaron Sims, while Anthony Avila kicked two second-half field goals to put the game out of reach.
Miller ended up rushing for 110 yards on 27 carries. Hammack threw for 125 yards, a touchdown and an interception, while Sims had two catches for 62 yards.
Bryson Hammonds provided Hardin-Simmons with its only score of the game, a 21-yard touchdown run in the second quarter that cut the Cru’s lead to 14-6 at the time. Hammonds had a huge game in the loss, rushing for 125 yards and catching six passes for 34 yards.
Hardin-Simmons’ season ended with a 9-2 record, its only losses coming at the hands of the Crusaders.
- Ferris State takes down Ouachita Baptist in D2 playoffs - December 2, 2018
- UMHB rolls past Hardin-Simmons in Division III first-round playoff win - November 18, 2018
- Hamilton, Garth Brooks and some football too on the CFA Road Trip Replay - October 22, 2018
- Heidelberg beats Otterbein to retain Rhine River Cup - October 16, 2018
- Ohio State Buckeyes, NW Missouri Bearcats lead Road Trip Replay Podcast - October 16, 2018
- Haskins leads Ohio State Buckeyes past Minnesota - October 15, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders drop TCU in Fort Worth - October 15, 2018
- Kansas State Wildcats, State Fair Classic highlight fourth 2018 CFA Podcast - October 3, 2018
- Texas Longhorns outlast Kansas State for first win in Manhattan since 2002 - September 30, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders, Colorado Mines highlight third 2018 CFA Podcast - September 20, 2018