FORT WORTH, Texas — Texas Tech Red Raiders fans remember that bright, sunny Saturday afternoon in 2014 where we all caught a glimpse of what Patrick Mahomes II could do.
Mahomes threw for just 45 yards that day against the Horned Frogs. But the next week he became the starter at Texas Tech due to Davis Webb’s injury and for the next two seasons he would rule the quarterback position for the Red Raiders.
It’s nice for Red Raiders fans to think of that day, Oct. 25, 2014, as the day the Mahomes era began. Because the alternative was WAY too depressing.
That was the day TCU destroyed Texas Tech, 82-27. It was the most points TCU ever scored in a game. Trevone Boykin threw for seven touchdowns. The Horned Frogs gained a school-record 85 yards. It was a butt-whipping reserved for FCS teams. I was at that game, covering it from the sideline. I couldn’t get over what was happening. Yes, Tech’s defense wasn’t that good. But there was still talent on that side of the ball. It shouldn’t have been THAT bad.
Four years later, the Red Raiders got some measure of revenge. Thursday night it was the Red Raiders’ defense and special teams that supported the offense, which saw quarterback Jett Duffey make his first collegiate start, in a 17-14 win over TCU. In a sloppy game, it was the Texas Tech defense that won the day. And you better believe that when head coach Kliff Kingsbury stepped to the podium, he was ready to talk about 2014.
“Four years ago I walked out of here and they put 82 on us, so to be able to come back and have this type of performance — I’m really proud of them,” Kingsbury said. “What that side of the football had done, it’s fought and fought, and that kind of consistency (tonight) is what we’re looking for from that group.”
- Hamilton, Garth Brooks and some football too on the CFA Road Trip Replay - October 22, 2018
- Heidelberg beats Otterbein to retain Rhine River Cup - October 16, 2018
- Ohio State Buckeyes, NW Missouri Bearcats lead Road Trip Replay Podcast - October 16, 2018
- Haskins leads Ohio State Buckeyes past Minnesota - October 15, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders drop TCU in Fort Worth - October 15, 2018
- Kansas State Wildcats, State Fair Classic highlight fourth 2018 CFA Podcast - October 3, 2018
- Texas Longhorns outlast Kansas State for first win in Manhattan since 2002 - September 30, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders, Colorado Mines highlight third 2018 CFA Podcast - September 20, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders rolls by Houston, 63-42 - September 16, 2018
- Texas A&M Aggies, Midwestern State highlight second 2018 CFA Podcast - September 12, 2018