Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins continues his push toward a Heisman Trophy and helped keep the Ohio State Buckeyes undefeated as they beat Minnesota, 30-14, on Saturday at Ohio Stadium.
Haskins threw for 412 yards on 33-44 passing with three scores. Wide receiver K.J. Hill caught nine passes for a career-high 187 yards and two touchdowns while Parris Campbell grabbed eight passes for 56 yards. Mike Weber rushed for 60 yards.
Ohio State (7-0, 4-0 in Big Ten) had to deal with a pesky Minnesota (3-3, 0-3) crew all afternoon. At one point in the second quarter the Golden Gophers led, 14-10, with the help of their talented freshman back, Mohamed Ibrahim. He gained a career-high 157 yards and scored both of Minnesota’s touchdowns. For his effort Ibrahim was named the Big Ten Freshman Player of the Week.
But Ohio State slowly, but surely, regained control of the game. Hill’s 36-yard touchdown reception from Haskins late in the second quarter gave the Buckeyes the lead for good, 17-14. But OSU couldn’t quite close the door. The Golden Gopher defense made the Buckeyes settle for a pair of Blake Haubeil field goals, which only allowed the Buckeyes to take a 23-14 lead early in the fourth quarter.
Minnesota was driving when Isaiah Pryor had an interception at the Ohio State 2-yard line with 9:25 left in the game. That led the Hill’s other touchdown reception of the game, which put the game on ice.
Minnesota quarterback Zach Annexstad threw for just 218 yards passing. But much of that went to Tyler Johnson, who caught 8 passes for 119 yards.
- College Football America Postseason Yearbook features Mary Hardin-Baylor Crusaders on D-III Cover - April 1, 2019
- College Football America Postseason Yearbook features Valdosta State Blazers on D-II Cover - April 1, 2019
- College Football America Postseason Yearbook features NDSU Bison on FCS Cover - April 1, 2019
- College Football America Postseason Yearbook features Dabo Swinney on FBS Cover - March 13, 2019
- CFA Traditions: Texas Pom Squad - March 1, 2019
- Stadium Video: Carl Smith Stadium, UVa-Wise - February 27, 2019
- Stadium Video: Kroger Field, Kentucky - February 26, 2019
- CFA Bands: The Lehigh Marching 97 - February 25, 2019
- CFA Traditions: Kennesaw State Owls takes the field - February 24, 2019
- 2019 Heisman Update: Group of 5 and Independents - February 22, 2019