MANHATTAN, Kansas — Texas hadn’t won a game in Manhattan, Kansas, since 2002. Texas also hadn’t started the season 4-1 since 2012. Well, the Longhorns rectified both problems with a 19-14 win over Kansas State on Saturday.
The Longhorns (4-1, 2-0 in Big 12) still don’t have an explosive offense, so they got scoring from all three areas of the game. The offense produced points on quarterback Sam Ehlinger’s touchdown pass to Collin Johnson, which was in essence a tie ball in the end zone with Kansas State’s Duke Shelley.
The defense produced points with a safety in the first half, as Longhorn defensive lineman Charles Omenihu sacked Wildcats quarterback Alex Delton, making his first start of the season.
The Longhorns special teams pitched in with a field goal by Cameron Dicker along with an electrifying punt return for a touchdown by D’Shawn Jamison, which came in the first half.
Still, the Wildcats (2-3, 0-2) kept it close once they made the change from Delton to Skylar Thompson in the second half. Thompson sparked the Wildcats to a pair of second-half touchdowns — his own 7-yarder in the third quarter and a 1-yard run by Alex Barnes early in the fourth quarter.
But the Longhorns salted the game away and, for the fourth straight game, ended the game in victory formation in the opponent’s red zone. Texas had the football for the final 6:20 of the game, a drive that included a pair of third-down conversions — a 12-yard pass from Ehlinger to Johnson and 3-yard run by Ehlinger. Ehlinger’s 12-yard run on 2nd-and-6 at the Kansas State 32 moved the chains the final time with less than two minutes remaining.
Kansas State travels to Baylor next weekend, while Texas faces Oklahoma in the Red River Rivalry game in Dallas. With Oklahoma undefeated, the game will be at 11 a.m. and the ESPN Gameday crew will broadcast from Dallas before the game.
- Heidelberg beats Otterbein to retain Rhine River Cup - October 16, 2018
- Ohio State Buckeyes, NW Missouri Bearcats lead Road Trip Replay Podcast - October 16, 2018
- Haskins leads Ohio State Buckeyes past Minnesota - October 15, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders drop TCU in Fort Worth - October 15, 2018
- Kansas State Wildcats, State Fair Classic highlight fourth 2018 CFA Podcast - October 3, 2018
- Texas Longhorns outlast Kansas State for first win in Manhattan since 2002 - September 30, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders, Colorado Mines highlight third 2018 CFA Podcast - September 20, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders rolls by Houston, 63-42 - September 16, 2018
- Texas A&M Aggies, Midwestern State highlight second 2018 CFA Podcast - September 12, 2018
- No. 10 Midwestern State upends No. 2 West Florida - September 9, 2018