GOLDEN, Colo. — The Colorado School of Mines Orediggers are for real.
Mines running back Cameron Mayberry rushed for 203 yards and three touchdowns to lead his team to a stunning 35-21 upset of CSU-Pueblo at Marv Kay Stadium. Mayberry, a redshirt junior from Stillwater, Okla., has 2,197 career rushing yards with 27 TD’s.
The Orediggers led, 21-14, in the third quarter when Logan Bock recovered a fumble and returned it 90 yard for a touchdown. Mines (3-0, 3-0 Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference) forced three turnovers and registered three sacks. Bock also had a sack and a forced fumble.
Mayberry scored his third TD in the fourth quarter to put Mines ahead, 35-14. The ThunderWolves (2-1, 2-1 RMAC) added another score on a 68-yard pass from Brandon Edwards to Bernard McDondle. McDondle rushed for 55 yards and a TD and added two catches for 74 yards and another score.
CSU-Pueblo quarterback Brandon Edwards threw for 305 yards with a TD and an interception in the losing effort.
Mines has won 11 straight home games. A season-opening loss to CSU-Pueblo in 2017 led to a 7-4 campaign for the Orediggers, who play at New Mexico Highlands on Sept. 22. Meanwhile, the ThunderWolves play their lone non-conference game at defending Division II national champion Texas A&M-Commerce.
- Prairie View Snaps Grambling’s 26-Game SWAC Winning Streak - October 1, 2018
- Colorado rumbles to 3-0 start with convincing win over UNH - September 19, 2018
- Colorado Mines chisels out win over CSU-Pueblo - September 18, 2018
- Clemson hold off pesky Texas A&M for soggy 28-26 road victory - September 10, 2018
- Prairie View A&M claims MEAC-SWAC Challenge victory - September 6, 2018
- More Cowbell: Mississippi State runs roughshod over SFA - September 5, 2018
- Late TD lifts Georgia State past Kennesaw State, 24-20 - September 5, 2018
- Snow Returns to Utah With Season-Opening Victory Over TVCC - August 27, 2018
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 14 - December 1, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 13 - November 22, 2017