Texas Tech rolled by Houston, 63-42, Saturday on the strength of quarterback Alan Bowman’s new Big 12 freshman passing record and wide receiver Antoine Wesley’s new Red Raiders’ single-game receiving record at Jones AT&T Stadium.
The Red Raiders are 2-1 going into their Big 12 opener next Saturday in Stillwater, Okla., against Oklahoma State.
Both offenses showed up. Bowman and Wesley just turned out to be the headliners.
Bowman, the true freshman who took over after McLane Carter suffered a high-ankle sprain against Ole Miss, threw for 605 yards and 5 touchdowns, the yardage being that aforementioned passing record. Bowman benefited greatly from the fact that the Red Raiders barely ran the football in the first half, along with Tech’s tactics against Houston All-American defensive tackle Ed Oliver, who received double-teams just about every play but still impacted the Tech running game in the first half.
Bowman broke the record set by Patrick Mahomes (589 yards).
Wesley was the beneficiary of Bowman’s staggering day, though Wesley wasn’t the only one with pinball numbers. He just broke Tech’s record for receiving yards, 261, on 13 receptions and scored 3 times.
Wesley has set career numbers in each of the season’s first three games this season.
Ja’Deion High had 120 yards receiving on 7 catches on his 24th birthday for the Red Raiders.
Houston QB D’Eriq King threw for 431 yards and 5 touchdowns, while Terrance Williams rushed for 61 yards and scored a touchdown and wide receiver Marquez Stevenson had 9 receptions for 177 yards and 2 touchdowns.
- Ferris State takes down Ouachita Baptist in D2 playoffs - December 2, 2018
- UMHB rolls past Hardin-Simmons in Division III first-round playoff win - November 18, 2018
- Hamilton, Garth Brooks and some football too on the CFA Road Trip Replay - October 22, 2018
- Heidelberg beats Otterbein to retain Rhine River Cup - October 16, 2018
- Ohio State Buckeyes, NW Missouri Bearcats lead Road Trip Replay Podcast - October 16, 2018
- Haskins leads Ohio State Buckeyes past Minnesota - October 15, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders drop TCU in Fort Worth - October 15, 2018
- Kansas State Wildcats, State Fair Classic highlight fourth 2018 CFA Podcast - October 3, 2018
- Texas Longhorns outlast Kansas State for first win in Manhattan since 2002 - September 30, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders, Colorado Mines highlight third 2018 CFA Podcast - September 20, 2018