SEWANEE, Tenn. – The Sewanee Tigers started slow and finished the same way putting up goose eggs on the scoreboard in the first and fourth quarters.
In between, however, they piled up 28 points scoring 14 apiece in the second and third quarters before making it stand late when the visiting Austin College Kangaroos added a field goal with 7:07 to play.
The 23-yarder off the boot of Mateo Pritzkau cut Sewanee’s lead to one score at 28-20, but the Tigers’ then got contributions in every phase of the game to seal the deal.
First, the offense milked 5:17 off the clock despite traveling just 32 yards in 11 plays. Then the special teams got in the action with a punt off the toe of Ben Brown pinning Austin at its own 8-yard line with just 1:50 remaining. The ‘Roos weren’t done, yet, however, crossing midfield in just three plays while covering 44 yards to mount a threat.
That’s when Sewanee’s defense took its turn in the spotlight to put the final nail in the coffin.
From the Sewanee 48-yard line, Colt Collins’ long pass was picked off by Tigers’ safety William Phillips at the 24-yard line and returned 11 yards to end the final threat by the ‘Roos.
Sewanee improves to 2-1 on the season and 1-0 in Southern Athletic Association play while Austin College falls to 0-3 and 0-1 in the SAA. Sewanee will play the third game of a three-game homestand against Millsaps next Saturday while Austin College returns to its home field in Sherman, Texas, to host Hendrix.
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017