COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Dabo got Jimbo again. But it wasn’t easy.
Playoff favorite Clemson and head coach Dabo Swinney escaped Texas A&M and first-year head coach Jimbo Fisher, 28-26, in a thrilling non-conference battle on a rainy night at Kyle Field.
The Aggies (1-1) cut the lead to two points when quarterback Kellen Mond hit Kendrick Rogers for a 14-yard touchdown pass with just 46 ticks left on the clock. However, the 2-point conversion attempt was intercepted by the Tigers to preserve the win. Clemson is ranked No. 2 in the College Football America 130.
Mond was spectacular in defeat. The sophomore first-year starting quarterback from San Antonio lit up Clemson’s vaunted defense to the tune of 430 yards and three touchdowns. Rogers hauled in seven catches for 120 yards and a pair of TD’s.
Clemson led, 21-6, in the third quarter before the Texas A&M offense got in gear. Not to be outdone by Mond, Tigers signal-caller Kelly Bryant threw for 205 yards and a TD and tacked on a game-high 54 rushing yards and another score.
The Aggies were driving earlier in the fourth quarter, but Rogers fumbled the ball out of the back of the end zone for a touchback that turned the ball over to the Tigers.
Fisher, who came to Texas A&M from Florida State, has met Swinney nine times head-to-head. With Saturday’s victory, Swinney holds a 5-4 lead.
Clemson (2-0) returns home to take on Georgia Southern this weekend, whole Texas A&M will host ULM.
- Colorado rumbles to 3-0 start with convincing win over UNH - September 19, 2018
- Colorado Mines chisels out win over CSU-Pueblo - September 18, 2018
- Clemson hold off pesky Texas A&M for soggy 28-26 road victory - September 10, 2018
- Prairie View A&M claims MEAC-SWAC Challenge victory - September 6, 2018
- More Cowbell: Mississippi State runs roughshod over SFA - September 5, 2018
- Late TD lifts Georgia State past Kennesaw State, 24-20 - September 5, 2018
- Snow Returns to Utah With Season-Opening Victory Over TVCC - August 27, 2018
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 14 - December 1, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 13 - November 22, 2017
- Midwestern State rallies past Sioux Falls in D2 playoffs - November 21, 2017