ATLANTA – The battle of the North Carolina Central and Prairie View A&M bands at halftime was too close to call. The battle between the
Eagles and the Panthers on the field … not so much.
PVAMU thoroughly dominated NC Central, 40-24, in the 14th annual MEAC-SWAC Challenge at Georgia State Stadium.
The Panthers (1-1) jumped all over the Eagles (0-1), 20-0, and never trailed. NC Central cut the lead to five, 26-21, heading into the fourth quarter. However, PVAMU padded its lead with two more touchdowns in the fourth quarter.
Both NC Central quarterback Chauncey Caldwell and PVAMU signal-caller Jalen Morton threw a pair of touchdown passes. But it was Panthers running back Dawonya Tucker who stole the show with 267 yards and a TD on 25 attempts.
Markcus Hardy caught both TD’s for the Panthers, while teammate Jeffery Rector had four catches for 104 yards.
The loss spoiled the debut of NC Central interim head coach Granville Eastman, who has been on the Eagles staff since 2014.
PVAMU is on the road at Sam Houston State on Saturday, Sept. 8, while NC Central takes on St. Augustine’s in the home opener for the Eagles.
- Prairie View Snaps Grambling’s 26-Game SWAC Winning Streak - October 1, 2018
- Colorado rumbles to 3-0 start with convincing win over UNH - September 19, 2018
- Colorado Mines chisels out win over CSU-Pueblo - September 18, 2018
- Clemson hold off pesky Texas A&M for soggy 28-26 road victory - September 10, 2018
- Prairie View A&M claims MEAC-SWAC Challenge victory - September 6, 2018
- More Cowbell: Mississippi State runs roughshod over SFA - September 5, 2018
- Late TD lifts Georgia State past Kennesaw State, 24-20 - September 5, 2018
- Snow Returns to Utah With Season-Opening Victory Over TVCC - August 27, 2018
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 14 - December 1, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 13 - November 22, 2017