STARKVILLE, Miss. – The cowbells stayed busy on Saturday night.
Mississippi State opened the regular season by dismantling FCS opponent Stephen F. Austin, 63-6, at Davis Wade Stadium. Both programs featured new head coaches making their debuts — MSU’s Joe Moorhead and SFA’s Jeff Byrd.
The Bulldogs (1-0) racked up 618 yards of total offense while limiting the Lumberjacks (0-1) to 254 yards.
MSU quarterback Keytaon Thompson had a monster game, throwing for 364 yards and 5 touchdowns and rushing for 109 yards and 2 TD’s. Bulldogs wide receiver Osirus Mitchell caught a pair of passes for 114 yards, both for TD’s.
Senior defensive end Montez Sweat wreaked havoc on the SFA offense. The College Football America Yearbook Dream Team Next Man Up selection had 3.5 tackles for loss, including two sacks.
SFA quarterback Foster Sawyer, a TCU transfer, threw for 177 yards with no interceptions.
Both teams are back in action Saturday, Sept. 8. MSU visits Kansas State, while SFA will take on Tarleton State in its home opener and final tune-up for Southland Conference play.
The Bulldogs finished 9-4 with a bowl win in 2017, while the Lumberjacks went 4-7.
- Prairie View Snaps Grambling’s 26-Game SWAC Winning Streak - October 1, 2018
- Colorado rumbles to 3-0 start with convincing win over UNH - September 19, 2018
- Colorado Mines chisels out win over CSU-Pueblo - September 18, 2018
- Clemson hold off pesky Texas A&M for soggy 28-26 road victory - September 10, 2018
- Prairie View A&M claims MEAC-SWAC Challenge victory - September 6, 2018
- More Cowbell: Mississippi State runs roughshod over SFA - September 5, 2018
- Late TD lifts Georgia State past Kennesaw State, 24-20 - September 5, 2018
- Snow Returns to Utah With Season-Opening Victory Over TVCC - August 27, 2018
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 14 - December 1, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 13 - November 22, 2017