ATHENS, Texas — Snow looked like it would plow Trinity Valley early on.
The Cardinals came roaring back, but the Badgers hung on for a 56-43 in a battle of ranked teams to open the NJCAA season on Saturday night at Bruce Field. The loss spoiled the debut of TVCC head coach Sherard Poteete.
Snow, which finished 10-1 last season, racked up 694 yards of total offense. Quarterback Braxton Kerr had a monster game for the Badgers, throwing for 367 yards and 6 touchdowns with a pair of interceptions.
Running back Jaylen Warren added 237 yards and a touchdown on 31 attempts for Snow, which takes on USA Revolution in its home opener Sept. 1.
The Badgers (1-0) raced out to a 24-0 lead before the Cardinals (0-1) knew what hit them in the annual Battle in the Valley.
TVCC quarterback Colton Atkinson threw a touchdown and ran for another one to cut the lead to 10. As time expired in the first half, James Baird kicked a 41-yard field goal to put Snow ahead, 27-14, at the break.
Snow padded its lead in the third quarter by outscoring the Cardinals, 16-8. However, TVCC made a furious comeback attempt and trimmed the lead all the way down to one possession, 50-43, when Tyri’k Barnes connected with Dhailon Phillips on a 38-yard TD pass with 10:25 left in the contest.
The Badgers iced the victory as Kerr hit Derek Wright on a 2-yard TD pass with 3:32 to play.
The road doesn’t get any easier for TVCC. The Cards open Southwest Junior College Football play on the road at New Mexico Military on Sept. 1. NMMI upset Arizona Western, 32-30, in its opener.
- Prairie View Snaps Grambling’s 26-Game SWAC Winning Streak - October 1, 2018
- Colorado rumbles to 3-0 start with convincing win over UNH - September 19, 2018
- Colorado Mines chisels out win over CSU-Pueblo - September 18, 2018
- Clemson hold off pesky Texas A&M for soggy 28-26 road victory - September 10, 2018
- Prairie View A&M claims MEAC-SWAC Challenge victory - September 6, 2018
- More Cowbell: Mississippi State runs roughshod over SFA - September 5, 2018
- Late TD lifts Georgia State past Kennesaw State, 24-20 - September 5, 2018
- Snow Returns to Utah With Season-Opening Victory Over TVCC - August 27, 2018
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 14 - December 1, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 13 - November 22, 2017