HOUSTON, Texas — D’Eriq King connected on 21-of-27 attempts for 277 yards and a touchdown with two more scores on the ground to lead the Houston Cougars to a 24-14 win over the Navy Midshipmen Saturday.
The win assured the Cougars of finishing above .500 in Head Coach Major Applewhite’s debut season which has been considered a disappointment in some corners. The Cougars stand at 7-4 with a bowl-game opponent yet to be determined while Navy falls to 6-5 with two weeks off before the big season-ending game against Army on December 9.
Against the Midshipmen, Houston got a big assist from a defense that found a way to disrupt the academy’s intricate triple-option offense. Ultimately the Cougars held the Midshipmen to just 291 yards of total offense thanks in part to allowing just six third-down conversions in 16 attempts.
Ed Oliver was a beast as always on defense for the Cougars registering two sacks against the run-oriented Midshipmen. That was part of a total of 3.5 tackles for loss and a career-high 14 tackles overall.
- RoadTripSports.com FCS and Small College All-America Teams - January 1, 2019
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 9, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com Defense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Offense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Coaching Staff - December 8, 2018
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018