LAFAYETTE, La. — Three late interceptions helped the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns finally pull away from a stubborn New Mexico State Aggies squad Saturday in a 47-34 win.
The Cajuns had led 28-10 in the second quarter before the Aggies slowly chipped away at the lead to tie the game at 34-all early in the fourth quarter. By then, the Aggies had lost starting quarterback Tyler Rogers to a shoulder injury putting the game in the hands of backup quarterback Nick Jeanty.
Following a Cajuns’ touchdown that gave the lead back to the hosts, Jeanty threw the first of three fourth-quarter interceptions, and Louisiana’s Jacques Boudreaux returned it 50 yards to set up another short touchdown drive.
Trailing 47-34, Jeanty threw another pick just two plays later, but the Aggies were able to force a quick three-and-out. Jeanty then led the Aggies down the field, but with an opportunity to cut into the lead, he threw his third and final interception of the evening ending any possible threat of a comeback.
The Aggies return home for their final two games against Idaho and South Alabama. With wins in both of those, they can be bowl-eligible and possibly end major college football’s longest bowl drought stretching back to the 1960 Sun Bowl. The Aggies haven’t been bowl-eligible since finishing 7-5 in 2002, but they didn’t receive a bowl bid that year.
Louisiana, meanwhile, will be back home Saturday against a 1-9 Georgia Southern squad. At 5-5, the Ragin’ Cajuns are also looking to get bowl-eligible, and they’ll have another shot on December 2 at Appalachian State.
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017