NORMAN, Okla. — Baker Mayfield may be the frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy, but for at least one week, he may not have even been the best player in an Oklahoma uniform.
Not with Rodney Anderson in the same Sooners’ backfield running for 151 yards and two touchdowns whil catching five of Mayfield’s passes for another 139 yards and two more scores. It was enough to propel the CFP No. 5 Sooners to a 38-20 win over the No. 6 TCU Horned Frogs.
Mayfield was his usual productive self with 333 yards passing on an 18-of-27 performance with three touchdowns that did nothing to derail his Heisman campaign. He’s the clear frontrunner now that Penn State running back Saquon Barkley has fallen by the wayside, and as long as Mayfield avoids any disastrous performances down the stretch, the trophy should be his.
But on this day, it was Anderson who turned in a Heisman-worthy performance. All four of his touchdowns came in the first half as the Sooners raced out to a 38-14 lead against a TCU defense that still ranks No. 8 in the country in scoring defense after the outburst. Anderson made the Horned Frogs’ defenders look very ordinary in a remarkable first-half that would provide all the points the Sooners would need. Even after finishing the second half scoreless, the Sooners would end the day with a three-score advantage.
The twain could meet again as the Big 12 Championship Game will feature the top two teams in the league standings. Oklahoma is 6-1 in league play with games at Kansas and back home against West Virginia remaining. TCU is tied at 5-2 in league play Oklahoma State and West Virginia, but holds a head-to-head advantage over both of them. If they win out with games remaining at Texas Tech and home against Baylor, they likely would force a rematch with the Sooners in that title game.
- Valdosta State wins D2 national title - December 15, 2018
- UMHB Crusaders win Stagg Bowl, 24-16 - December 15, 2018
- Ferris State takes down Ouachita Baptist in D2 playoffs - December 2, 2018
- UMHB rolls past Hardin-Simmons in Division III first-round playoff win - November 18, 2018
- Hamilton, Garth Brooks and some football too on the CFA Road Trip Replay - October 22, 2018
- Heidelberg beats Otterbein to retain Rhine River Cup - October 16, 2018
- Ohio State Buckeyes, NW Missouri Bearcats lead Road Trip Replay Podcast - October 16, 2018
- Haskins leads Ohio State Buckeyes past Minnesota - October 15, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders drop TCU in Fort Worth - October 15, 2018
- Kansas State Wildcats, State Fair Classic highlight fourth 2018 CFA Podcast - October 3, 2018