AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas Longhorns rode a fast start to a 42-27 Big 12 Conference victory over Kansas in front of 96,557 fans at Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium.
Texas (5-5, 4-3) is now one win away from being bowl eligible under first-year head coach Tom Herman. The Longhorns play at West Virginia and at home against Texas Tech to close out the season.
Kansas dropped to 1-9 (0-7) with the loss. Texas quarterback Shane Buechele threw a 49-yard touchdown pass to Lorenzo Joe on the first offensive play of the game to jump-start a 28-point first quarter for the Horns. Toneil Carter, Lil’Jordan Humphrey and Chris Warren III all scored rushing touchdowns for Texas, which also scored a defensive touchdown.
Antwuan Davis, meanwhile, had three takeaways for the Longhorns’ defense in the first half. He had two interceptions and recovered a fumble in his second career start.
Kansas quarterback Carter Stanley was 27-of-43 for 268 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions.
The Jayhawks close out the season with a home game against Oklahoma and a road game at Oklahoma State.
- RoadTripSports.com FCS and Small College All-America Teams - January 1, 2019
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 9, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com Defense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Offense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Coaching Staff - December 8, 2018
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018