GORDONSVILLE, Tenn. — It was a battle of Tigers in this small Middle Tennessee town last Friday night.
Well, for one half, anyway before the visiting Whitwell Tigers ran off and left their hosts in the dust of a 49-7 blowout in the second round of the TSSAA Division I Class 1A playoffs.
Whitwell looked like the stronger team from the start jumping out to an early 14-0 lead, but then Gordonsville answered to make it 14-7. The hosts had a chance to even the score before halftime, but a drive fizzled out on a fourth-and-2 at Whitwell’s 33-yard line.
The visitors pounced quickly in the second half converting an onside kick to open the third quarter, and from there, the rout was on. Whitwell poured on 28 points before the stanza came to a close putting the game out of reach at 42-7.
Gordonsville’s season ends at 7-5 while Whitwell (11-1) advances to a third-round matchup at the undefeated South Pittsburg (TN) Pirates. Whitwell’s only loss came against the Pirates about a month ago in a 21-14 defeat in a game that was also played in South Pittsburg.
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017