GORDONSVILLE, Tenn. — It was a battle of Tigers in this small Middle Tennessee town last Friday night.
Well, for one half, anyway before the visiting Whitwell Tigers ran off and left their hosts in the dust of a 49-7 blowout in the second round of the TSSAA Division I Class 1A playoffs.
Whitwell looked like the stronger team from the start jumping out to an early 14-0 lead, but then Gordonsville answered to make it 14-7. The hosts had a chance to even the score before halftime, but a drive fizzled out on a fourth-and-2 at Whitwell’s 33-yard line.
The visitors pounced quickly in the second half converting an onside kick to open the third quarter, and from there, the rout was on. Whitwell poured on 28 points before the stanza came to a close putting the game out of reach at 42-7.
Gordonsville’s season ends at 7-5 while Whitwell (11-1) advances to a third-round matchup at the undefeated South Pittsburg (TN) Pirates. Whitwell’s only loss came against the Pirates about a month ago in a 21-14 defeat in a game that was also played in South Pittsburg.
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017