LEBANON, Tenn. — The Cumberland Phoenix sent their seniors out in style in a 62-23 victory over the Kentucky Christian Knights last Saturday.
The Senior Day win even included a receiving touchdown by senior offensive lineman Nick Bodden on a throwback screen. Cumberland already led 14-0 at the time, but the sight of the 272-pound Bodden rushing around the left end and diving into the end zone ignited the home crowd as the Phoenix stretched their lead to 21-0.
From there, it only got worse for the Knights. Cumberland added two more touchdowns to lead 35-0 before the Knights finally got on the board when quarterback Jakwon Roberts scampered 23 yards for a touchdown.
The second half didn’t provide much relief for the visitors who got piled on with another 27 points in the second half. Their own offense proved a little more effective at finishing drives after the break, but not enough to keep pace with the high-powered Phoenix attack.
Kentucky Christian concluded the 2017 season with a 1-10 record, meaning it could still be a tough slog in 2018 for a program that hasn’t finished over .500 since a 7-4 finish in 2012. Cumberland, on the other hand, has showed steady improvement over the past couple of seasons from 3-8 in 2015 to 5-6 in 2016 and 7-4 this season. It wasn’t good enough for the playoffs this season, but if the Phoenix can take another step forward in 2018, then the postseason should be a reasonable goal.
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017