LEBANON, Tenn. — The Cumberland Phoenix sent their seniors out in style in a 62-23 victory over the Kentucky Christian Knights last Saturday.
The Senior Day win even included a receiving touchdown by senior offensive lineman Nick Bodden on a throwback screen. Cumberland already led 14-0 at the time, but the sight of the 272-pound Bodden rushing around the left end and diving into the end zone ignited the home crowd as the Phoenix stretched their lead to 21-0.
From there, it only got worse for the Knights. Cumberland added two more touchdowns to lead 35-0 before the Knights finally got on the board when quarterback Jakwon Roberts scampered 23 yards for a touchdown.
The second half didn’t provide much relief for the visitors who got piled on with another 27 points in the second half. Their own offense proved a little more effective at finishing drives after the break, but not enough to keep pace with the high-powered Phoenix attack.
Kentucky Christian concluded the 2017 season with a 1-10 record, meaning it could still be a tough slog in 2018 for a program that hasn’t finished over .500 since a 7-4 finish in 2012. Cumberland, on the other hand, has showed steady improvement over the past couple of seasons from 3-8 in 2015 to 5-6 in 2016 and 7-4 this season. It wasn’t good enough for the playoffs this season, but if the Phoenix can take another step forward in 2018, then the postseason should be a reasonable goal.
- RoadTripSports.com FCS and Small College All-America Teams - January 1, 2019
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 9, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com Defense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Offense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Coaching Staff - December 8, 2018
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018