These are some of the top stories and headlines from around the country in the world of high school football.
The playoffs are under way just about everywhere although they are still wrapping up the regular season in a few places (most notably, Texas). By next week, the playoffs will be under way everywhere they haven’t already concluded.
Alaska, of course, crowned its three state champions in October, and a number of other states will start crowning state champions this week including North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont and Wyoming.
We’ll give a full rundown of all the state championship games that we are aware of below as the high school football season continues to wind its way toward its inevitable conclusion.
ROADTRIPSPORTS.COM ON THE ROAD
Last week’s college football agenda took me up to Terre Haute, Indiana, for Youngstown State at Indiana State and Charleston, Illinois, for Eastern Kentucky at Eastern Illinois so that meant heading north Friday evening from Nashville, Tennessee.
I routed my way through Owensboro, Kentucky, and pulled off there to catch the Apollo (Owensboro, KY) Eagles host the Greenwood (Bowling Green, KY) Gators. Greenwood was only 3-7 coming into the game against the 7-3 Eagles, but the Gators are used to some heavyweights playing in the Bowling Green region. They were more than equal to the task running off and leaving the Eagles late in a 51-31 victory to advance to the second round of Kentucky’s KHSAA Class 5A playoffs.
That was our only high school action of the week.
THE NATIONAL TOP 10
Last Week’s Top 10 Results
No. 1 IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) Ascenders 32, Hoover (AL) Buccaneers 21
No. 2 Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) Monarchs 51, Servite (Anaheim, CA) Friars 7
No. 3 American Heritage (Plantation, FL) Patriots 37, Coconut Creek (FL) Cougars 0
No. 4 Centennial (Corona, CA) Huskies 62, King (Riverside, CA) Wolves 0
No. 5 St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA) Braves 51, No. 19 JSerra Catholic (San Juan Capistrano, CA) Lions 10
No. 6 Ben Davis (Indianapolis, IN) Giants 36, Warren Central (Indianapolis, IN) Warriors 29
No. 7 St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, MD) Panthers 53, Silver Oak Academy (Keymar, MD) 0
No. 8 St. Louis (Honolulu, HI) Crusaders, Idle
No. 7 Northwestern (Miami, FL) Bulls 40, Jackson (Miami, FL) Generals 0
No. 9 Katy (TX) Tigers 49, Strake Jesuit (Houston, TX) Fighting Crusaders 7
No. 10 Bingham (South Jordan, UT) Miners 37, Syracuse (UT) Titans 7
CURRENT TOP 10 HEADLINES
No. 1 Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) Monarchs
Mater Dei finished the regular season unbeaten with a 51-7 win over Servite. They enter the playoffs this week with a first-round matchup against the Vista Murrieta (Murrieta, CA) Broncos.
No. 2 IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL) Ascenders
IMG Academy outlasted the Hoover (AL) Buccaneers 32-21 last week to remain undefeated headed into their season finale against the Bishop Sullivan Catholic (Virginia Beach, VA) Crusaders.
No. 3 St. John Bosco (Bellflower, CA) Braves
St. John Bosco routed JSerra Catholic 51-10 in their final warmup before heading into the playoffs against the Bishop Amat (La Puente, CA) Lancers.
No. 4 American Heritage (Plantation, FL) Patriots
American Heritage’s final tune-up for the playoffs went as planned in a 37-0 romp over Coconut Creek. Next up is a first-round playoff matchup against the Merritt Island (FL) Mustangs.
No. 5 Centennial (Corona, CA) Huskies
Centennial trounced King 62-0 last weekend in their final prep for this week’s playoff meeting against the Serra (Gardena, CA) Cavaliers.
No. 6 St. Louis (Honolulu, HI) Crusaders
St. Louis has been idle since October 21, but they’ll finally get the Hawaii playoffs started this weekend against the Mililani (HI) Trojans.
No. 7 Bingham (South Jordan, UT) Miners
Bingham cruised to a 37-7 victory over the Syracuse (UT) Titans last weekend, and they’ll continue on their march toward a possible UHSAA Class 6A title against the Herriman (West Herriman, UT) Mustangs this week.
No. 8 Ben Davis (Indianapolis, IN) Giants
Ben Davis survived a second-round scare last weekend in a 36-29 win over Warren Central. Up next is a third-round playoff date versus the Fishers (IN) Tigers.
No. 9 Katy (TX) Tigers
Strake Jesuit was no match for the Katy Tigers in a 49-7 blowout last weekend. Katy will wrap up the regular season against the Mayde Creek (Houston, TX) Rams this week.
No. 10 St. Xavier (Cincinnati, OH) Bombers
St. Xavier opened the playoffs with a 40-12 win over the Fairfield (OH) Indians. They’ll take on the Sycamore (Cincinnati, OH) Aviators in the second round this week.
OTHER TOP 25 RESULTS FROM LAST WEEK
- No. 11 Allen (TX) Eagles 56, Plano (TX) East Panthers 30
- No. 12 St. Xavier (Cincinnati, OH) Bombers 40, Fairfield (OH) Indians 12
- No. 13 Mission Viejo (CA) Diablos 49, San Clemente (CA) Tritons 21
- No. 14 Lowndes (Valdosta, GA) Vikings, Idle
- No. 15 Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita, CA) Eagles 38, Orange (CA) Lutheran Lancers 31
- No. 16 Trinity (Louisville, KY) Shamrocks 70, Seneca (Louisville, KY) Red Hawks 0
- No. 17 Central (Miami, FL) Rockets, Idle
- No. 18 St. Ignatius (Cleveland, OH) Wildcats 24, Perry (Massillon, OH) Panthers 7
- No. 20 Pine-Richland (Gibsonia, PA) Rams 49, Norwin (North Huntingdon, PA) Knights 14
- No. 21 Northwestern (Miami, FL) Bulls 40, Jackson (Miami, FL) Generals 0
- No. 22 Chaminade (West Hills, CA) Eagles 57, Bishop Amat (La Puente, CA) Lancers 33
- No. 23 Folsom (CA) Bulldogs 42, Oak Ridge (El Dorado Hills, CA) Trojans 28
- No. 24 St. Edward (Lakewood, OH) Eagles 37, McKinley (Canton, OH) Bulldogs 21
- No. 25 Bergen Catholic (Oradell, NJ) Crusaders 28, Seton Hall Prep (West Orange, NJ) Pirates 7
GAME OF THE WEEK
It’s not often that two teams with winning streaks of more than 20 games collide, but two Minnesota defending state champions will do exactly that Friday night when the Caledonia (MN) Warriors and the Minneapolis (MN) North Polars meet in the quarterfinals of the MSHSL Class AA playoffs.
Caledonia is the state’s defending AA champion while Minneapolis North won the Class A championship last year before stepping up to AA this year. Either way, it’s an intriguing matchup and a rare opportunity to spotlight a couple of small schools in the Upper Midwest playing a game that really matters.
REMAINING TOP 25 SCHEDULE
Thursday, November 9
- No. 17 Folsom (CA) Bulldogs 76, River City (West Sacramento, CA) Raiders 9
Friday, November 10
- 7:30 p.m. ET: Euclid (OH) Panthers at No. 18 St. Ignatius (Cleveland, OH) Wildcats
- 7:30 p.m. ET: Heritage (Palm Bay, FL) Panthers at No. 20 Central (Miami, FL) Rockets
- 7:30 p.m. ET: Campbell County (Alexandria, KY) Camels at No. 21 Trinity (Louisville, KY) Shamrocks
- 7:30 p.m. ET: Pickens (Jasper, GA) Dragons at No. 22 Cartersville (GA) Hurricanes
- 7:30 p.m. ET: Matanzas (Palm Coast, FL) Pirates at No. 23 Northwestern (Miami, FL) Bulls
- 7:30 p.m. ET: Mentor (OH) Cardinals vs. No. 24 St. Edward (Lakewood, OH) Eagles
- 8 p.m. ET: Campbell (Smyrna, GA) Spartans at No. 16 Lowndes (Valdosta, GA) Vikings
- 8:30 p.m. ET: Wylie (TX) Pirates at No. 15 Allen (TX) Eagles
- 10 p.m. ET: Servite (Anaheim, CA) Friars at No. 11 Mission Viejo (CA) Diablos
- 10 p.m. ET: Orange (CA) Lutheran Lancers at No. 12 Chaminade (West Hills, CA) Eagles
- 10 p.m. ET: No. 14 Santa Margarita (Rancho Santa Margarita, CA) Eagles at Murrieta (CA) Valley Nighthawks
- 10:30 p.m. ET: No. 25 JSerra Catholic (San Juan Capistrano, CA) Lions at Long Beach (CA) Poly Jackrabbits
Sunday, November 12
- 12 noon ET: McDonogh (Owings Mills, MD) at No. 13 St. Frances Academy (Baltimore, MD) Panthers
- No. 19 De La Salle (Concord, CA) Spartans
We’re continuing to update our list of high school football state champions here. Teams in [brackets] have been eliminated from the playoffs.
North Dakota (NDHSAA)
The North Dakota state championship pairings are set for this weekend including:
Friday, November 10
- 6 p.m. ET: Division AAA, Minot (ND) Magicians vs. West Fargo (ND) Packers
- TBA: Division AA, Shanley (Fargo, ND) Deacons vs. St. Mary’s Central (Bismarck, ND) Saints
- TBA: Division A, Hillsboro/Central Valley (Buxton, ND) Burros vs. Langdon (ND)/Edmore/Munich
South Dakota (SDHSAA)
The South Dakota state championship pairings are set for this weekend including:
Friday, November 10
- 2 p.m. ET: Class 11B: Bridgewater (SD)/Emery/Ethan Seahawks vs. Sioux Falls (SD) Christian Chargers
- 8 p.m. ET: Class 11AA: Riggs (Pierre, SD) Governors vs. Harrisburg (SD) Tigers
Saturday, November 11
- 2 p.m. ET: Class 11A: Dakota Valley (North Sioux City, SD) Panthers vs. Madison (SD) Bulldogs
- 8 p.m. ET: Class 11AAA: Roosevelt (Sioux Falls, SD) Rough Riders vs. Washington (Sioux Falls, SD) Warriors
The Vermont state championship pairings are set for this weekend including:
Saturday, November 11
- TBA: Division I, Hartford (White River Junction, VT) Hurricanes vs. St. Johnsbury (VT) Academy Hilltoppers
- TBA: Division II, Bellows Falls (VT) Terriers vs. Fair Haven (VT) Slaters
- TBA: Division III, Windsor (VT) Yellowjackets vs. Woodstock (VT) Wasps
The Wyoming state championship pairings are set for this weekend including:
Friday, November 10
- 2 p.m. ET: Class 2A, Glenrock (WY) Herders vs. Mountain View (WY) Buffaloes
- 5 p.m. ET: Class 3A, Cody (WY) Broncs vs. Torrington (WY) Trailblazers
Saturday, November 11
- 3 p.m. ET: Class 1A, Big Horn (WY) Rams vs. Pine Bluffs (WY) Hornets
- 6 p.m. ET: Class 4A, Natrona County (Casper, WY) Mustangs vs. Sheridan (WY) Broncs
TOP WINNING STREAKS
Kimberly records 68th straight win
The nation’s longest winning streak continued as the Kimberly (WI) Papermakers won their 68th straight game in a 28-21 victory over the Fond du Lac (WI) Cardinals. They’ll go for No. 69 against the Appleton (WI) North Lightning this week.
Cartersville makes it 40 in a row
The Cartersville (GA) Hurricanes notched their 40th straight win in a 52-13 rout of the Troup County (LaGrange, GA) Tigers. They’ll kick off the playoffs this week against the Pickens (Jasper, GA) Dragons.
Other landmark wins
The Cedar Grove (Ellenwood, GA) Saints, McClymonds (Oakland, CA) Warriors and Valor Christian (Highlands Ranch, CO) Eagles each won their 20th straight game last week.
STREAKS THAT ENDED
King’s Academy sees its 21-game win streak come to an end
The Benjamin (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) Buccaneers ended the 21-game win streak of the King’s Academy (West Palm Beach, FL) Lions with a 33-21 last week.
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 9, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com Defense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Offense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Coaching Staff - December 8, 2018
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017