CHARLESTON, Ill. — The Eastern Kentucky Colonels scored a go-ahead touchdown with just 37 seconds remaining Saturday to take a 20-13 lead at Eastern Illinois.
And it still wasn’t enough.
The host Panthers got the ball back on their own 33-yard line, and four plays later they evened the score at 20-all on a 26-yard Scott Gilkey-to-Alexander Hollins touchdown pass with just 1.9 seconds remaining. That sent the game to overtime where the Panthers made Matt Severino’s 45-yard field goal stand for a 23-20 win after intercepting the Colonels on their first play of overtime.
The game was a stalemate throughout with the two teams tied 7-7 after the first quarter, 10-10 at halftime, 13-13 after three quarters, and finally, 20-all heading into the extra period.
With the two teams each picking up 14 first downs and turning the ball over twice, there was little to separate the two teams heading into the wild final minute. Eastern’s second turnover, however, would prove to be the most costly slamming the door shut on the Colonels in overtime before they even had a chance to get going.
Eastern Kentucky will return home for its final two contests starting with Austin Peay this coming weekend. Eastern Illinois, meanwhile, will take a weekend off before visiting that same Austin Peay squad on November 18 to close the season.
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017