CHARLESTON, Ill. — The Eastern Kentucky Colonels scored a go-ahead touchdown with just 37 seconds remaining Saturday to take a 20-13 lead at Eastern Illinois.
And it still wasn’t enough.
The host Panthers got the ball back on their own 33-yard line, and four plays later they evened the score at 20-all on a 26-yard Scott Gilkey-to-Alexander Hollins touchdown pass with just 1.9 seconds remaining. That sent the game to overtime where the Panthers made Matt Severino’s 45-yard field goal stand for a 23-20 win after intercepting the Colonels on their first play of overtime.
The game was a stalemate throughout with the two teams tied 7-7 after the first quarter, 10-10 at halftime, 13-13 after three quarters, and finally, 20-all heading into the extra period.
With the two teams each picking up 14 first downs and turning the ball over twice, there was little to separate the two teams heading into the wild final minute. Eastern’s second turnover, however, would prove to be the most costly slamming the door shut on the Colonels in overtime before they even had a chance to get going.
Eastern Kentucky will return home for its final two contests starting with Austin Peay this coming weekend. Eastern Illinois, meanwhile, will take a weekend off before visiting that same Austin Peay squad on November 18 to close the season.
- RoadTripSports.com FCS and Small College All-America Teams - January 1, 2019
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 9, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com Defense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Offense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Coaching Staff - December 8, 2018
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018