TERRE HAUTE, Ind. — The last time the Youngstown State Penguins came to Terre Haute to face Indiana State two years ago, they had to deal with a snow storm losing on a late field goal in a 27-24 loss to the Sycamores.
This time the Penguins were the blizzard burying the Sycamores below an avalanche of offense in a 66-24 blowout.
Youngstown State quarterback Ricky Davis provided most of the offense for the visitors with 349 yards through the air and 98 more on the ground. He scored the first two touchdowns of the game on runs of 57 yards and one yard as the Penguins jumped out to a 28-0 first-quarter lead – enough to win the game before even the first 15 minutes had expired.
Indiana State made it interesting, however, at least until halftime. LeMonte Booker’s 77-yard jaunt 0n the last play of the first quarter gave the Sycamores their first breath of life, and following a Youngstown State field goal, they cut into the lead further on a 1-yard Jaquan Keys’ run to trim the Penguins’ advantage to 31-14.
Another Youngstown State touchdown made it 38-14, but the Sycamores were able to score the final 10 points of the first half to trail 38-24 heading into the lockers.
Whatever hope they had was extinguished in the third quarter on two Davis-to-Samuel St. Surin touchdown plays of 61 and 64 yards to put the game out of reach at 52-24. Two Joe Alessi touchdown runs in the fourth quarter sealed the deal for the Penguins and provided the final margin.
The win helped Youngstown State end a four-game October losing streak during which they faced three ranked opponents and a solid Northern Iowa squad that had the homefield advantage. The Penguins will visit Southern Illinois this coming weekend while Indiana State will entertain Western Illinois in its 2017 home finale.
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017