OWENSBORO, Ky. — Never mind the records, the 3-7 Greenwood (Bowling Green, KY) Gators weren’t about to be intimidated Friday night against the 7-3 Apollo (Owensboro, KY) Eagles.
And never mind the fact that their first-round matchup against the Eagles meant taking a 78-mile bus ride.
No, none of that mattered on a night when a fired-up Greenwood squad took full advantage of the opportunity to play at least one more game, and the Gators made the most of their road trip in a 51-31 win over the host Eagles.
Their reward is a double-edged sword – they’ll get to play their second-round game back in Bowling Green, but it’ll mean taking on the highly-regarded Bowling Green (KY) Purples who finished the regular season 8-2 before disposing of Apollo’s rival, the Owensboro (KY) Red Devils, 48-14 in another first-round matchup.
Bowling Green beat Greenwood 49-19 in the regular season, and the rematch figures to be equally challenging for the Gators. It beats not having a chance at all, however, and the Gators earned their way into the rematch with a solid win over Apollo Friday night.
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017