Just one week after playing their way back into the playoff picture in an exciting 39-38 win over Penn state, the Ohio State Buckeyes crashed and burned in a 55-24 loss at the hands of the Iowa Hawkeyes.
With Alabama and Georgia hanging on tight to the top two spots, the Buckeyes dropped from No. 3 to No. 11 in the latest FWAA-NFF Super 16 Poll, and they’ll need a lot of help to earn a College Football Playoff bid that was within their grasp just 24 hours ago. Ohio State would have been guaranteed a spot in the playoff if they had won out prior to yesterday; now, winning out still guarantees them a Big Ten championship, but they’d need help to jump back into the Top 4.
At the top of the poll, Alabama lost four No. 1 votes to Georgia this week, but the Tide is still a solid No. 1 with 41 first-place ballots to Georgia’s seven. Moving up into the No. 3 spot behind the two SEC frontrunners is Notre Dame whose only loss is to Georgia. Clemson and Wisconsin are Nos. 4 and 5 after trading places from last week’s poll.
Oklahoma is up two spots from No. 8 to No. 6 with Miami coming along for the ride from No. 9 to No. 7. Miami’s move was possible due in part to previous No. 7 Penn State’s shocking 27-24 loss at Michigan State sending the Nittany Lions out of the Top 10 to No. 12.
Oklahoma’s incredible 62-52 Bedlam win over previous No. 10 Oklahoma State opened up a third spot in the Top 10, and No. 8 TCU and No. 9 Washington took full advantage each moving up three spots to rejoin the Top 10. Auburn was the final beneficiary of the Top 10 chaos taking the biggest jump of the week all the way from No. 16 to No. 10.
With Ohio State, Penn State and Oklahoma State settling into Nos. 11-13, No. 14 UCF eased up a spot after surviving a scare on the road at SMU. The Knights are the only undefeated team that isn’t from a Power 5 league, and they remain a longshot to crack the playoff field as they’ll need plenty of help to get the opportunity.
Nos. 15 and 16 are occupied by Michigan State and USC which rejoin the Super 16 after spending time there earlier this season.
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017