COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Here we go again.
The biggest knock against Kevin Sumlin and his teams at Texas A&M has been their inability to win in the second half of the season once they hit conference play. And just when the hot seat had cooled off a bit for Sumlin, there his Aggies were Saturday night getting pushed around in a 35-14 loss by a Mississippi State Bulldogs’ team that looked more comfortable at Kyle Field than the hosts.
Just like that, Sumlin’s seat has heated up again.
Last year, the Aggies were 6-0 before going 2-4 in the second half of the regular season. In 2015, they were 5-0 before finishing 3-4 over the final seven games. Same story in 2014 with a 5-0 start followed by a 2-5 flameout.
In fact, since finishing 11-2 and 6-2 in conference play in his first season as the Aggies’ coach in 2012, the Aggies have finished no better than 9-4 overall and 4-4 in conference play. Of course, Sumlin had Heisman winner Johnny Manziel at quarterback for that 2012 season, and that 9-4 finish came during Manziel’s sophomore encore in 2013.
Forgive the Aggie faithful then if Saturday’s result against the Bulldogs felt all too familiar. It’s hard to know for certain whether the Aggie administration is considering a change, but if Sumlin wants to change the narrative, he’s got another opportunity Saturday when the Aggies host the Auburn Tigers, ranked No. 14 in the first College Football Playoff rankings.
Mississippi State, meanwhile, is ranked No. 16 in those rankings, and the Bulldogs will get a breather back at home in Starkville, Mississippi, with UMass coming to town.
- Heidelberg beats Otterbein to retain Rhine River Cup - October 16, 2018
- Ohio State Buckeyes, NW Missouri Bearcats lead Road Trip Replay Podcast - October 16, 2018
- Haskins leads Ohio State Buckeyes past Minnesota - October 15, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders drop TCU in Fort Worth - October 15, 2018
- Kansas State Wildcats, State Fair Classic highlight fourth 2018 CFA Podcast - October 3, 2018
- Texas Longhorns outlast Kansas State for first win in Manhattan since 2002 - September 30, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders, Colorado Mines highlight third 2018 CFA Podcast - September 20, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders rolls by Houston, 63-42 - September 16, 2018
- Texas A&M Aggies, Midwestern State highlight second 2018 CFA Podcast - September 12, 2018
- No. 10 Midwestern State upends No. 2 West Florida - September 9, 2018