There was no change at the top of the FWAA-NFF Super 16 as Alabama continues to hold down the top spot despite being on a bye week.
But the Crimson Tide lost three first-place votes to Georgia, and the rest of the Top 10 was rocked by Penn State’s loss to Ohio State and TCU’s loss at Iowa State. Both the Nittany Lions and the Horned Frogs were undefeated heading into those games and ranked in the Top 5.
Penn State, in fact, was ranked No. 2 behind Alabama but dropped to No. 7 with the loss. That allowed Georgia to move up a spot into No. 2 allowing the SEC to take over the top two spots in the rankings despite the fact that the conference as a whole appears to have slipped. Ohio State was rewarded for the win over Penn State by jumping from No. 6 to No. 3, and Wisconsin moved up a spot from No. 5 to No. 4 to help the Big Ten take over the next two spots behind the two SEC frontrunners.
TCU’s loss, meanwhile, dropped the Frogs from that No. 4 spot now occupied by Wisconsin to No. 11 clearing the way for several other teams to move up a few spots. Clemson obliged jumping from No. 7 to No. 5 followed by Notre Dame which jumped from No. 9 to No. 6.
Behind Penn State in the No. 7 slot is Oklahoma – up to two spots from No. 10 to No. 8. That left the previous No. 8 Miami Hurricanes in the awkward position of dropping a spot to No. 9 despite the fact that two teams in front of them lost. That was partly due to the still-undefeated ‘Canes’ unimpressive showing in a 24-19 win over a 1-8 North Carolina squad.
Oklahoma State rounded out the Top moving up one spot from No. 11 just in front of the TCU team they lost to at home just a few short weeks ago.
The rest of the Super 16 features No. 12 Washington and No. 13 Virginia Tech in the same spots as last week. Three newcomers fill out the last three spots including No. 14 Iowa State, No. 15 UCF and No. 16 Auburn.
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017