Courtesy of the Augusta Sports Council and the Ray Guy Award
AUGUSTA, Ga. – Earlier this week, the Augusta Sports Council and the Ray Guy Award announced Corey Bojorquez of the University of New Mexico Lobos as the Ray Guy Award Punter of the Week for Week 8 games.
Bojorquez punted 3 times during last Saturday’s game against Colorado State for 173 yards. His gross average for the game was 57.67 yards, placing him third on the NCAA list for gross average and his net average was 64.67 yards placing him sixth for the NCAA net average. Two of Bojorquez’s punts were marked inside Colorado State’s 20-yard line and his long punt for the game was an impressive 78 yards.
Bojorquez set three school records in the game for gross punting, net punting and most 75+ yard punts in a career (3). His 78-yard punt tied for the fifth-longest in school history.
Bojorquez is a left-footed, 6-foot, 200-pound punter from California studying liberal arts. The senior is also an ordained minister.
The Augusta Sports Council created the Ray Guy Award in 2000 to honor the Thomson, Georgia native and College and Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee, Ray Guy. Among the statistics used to identify the winner is net punting average, number of times a punt is downed or kicked out of bounds inside the opponents 20-yard line, total yardage punted, average returned yardage and percentage of punts not returned with particular emphasis placed on net punting average. The winner must display team leadership, self-discipline and have a positive impact on the team’s success.
The Augusta Sports Council (ASC) enriches the quality of life and economic well-being for the Augusta metropolitan area by supporting and attracting sporting activities. To learn more, visit www.augustasportscouncil.org.
The Ray Guy Award is a member of the National College Football Awards Association (NCFAA), which encompasses college football’s most prestigious awards. Founded in 1997, the NCFAA and its 22 awards now boast over 800 recipients, dating to 1935. Visit ncfaa.org to learn more about our story.
The members of the NCFAA are unveiling their preseason watch lists over a two-week period this month. Sixteen of the association’s 23 awards select a preseason watch list and the NCFAA has spearheaded a coordinated effort to promote each award’s preseason candidates.
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017