COMMERCE, Texas — The No. 10 Texas A&M-Commerce Lions needed a late touchdown to secure a 34-20 win over the Angelo State Rams last Saturday.
The Lions led 24-17 entering the fourth quarter before adding a 26-yard field goal by Kristov Martinez to make it 27-17. Not to be outdone, Angelo State kept pace with a 21-yard chip shot by Connor Flanigan to trim the lead back to seven at 27-20 with 8:14 to play.
The game stayed there until the Lions finally put together a 9-play, 53-yard drive capped by a 33-yard Luis Perez-to-Darrion Landry touchdown strike with just 1:29 remaining to ice the game at 34-20.
The Lions moved up one spot after win to No. 9 with a 6-1 record overall. The Rams slipped to 3-4 despite challenging one of the nation’s top NCAA Division II teams on the road.
Next up for Commerce is a visit to West Texas A&M this coming Saturday. Angelo State, meanwhile, will host Western New Mexico for homecoming.
- CFA announces its 2018 D2 Preseason Starting Lineup - August 16, 2018
- Podcast: CFA’s Matthew Postins explains his FBS predictions - August 15, 2018
- Concordia-Ann Arbor’s Joe Conner on CFA Yearbook NAIA Section Cover - August 8, 2018
- Fresno City’s Anthony Stewart featured on CFA’s Juco Cover - August 4, 2018
- Column: It’s time for the Group of 5 to start its own playoff - January 7, 2018
- College Football Playoff, Bowl Game Schedule - December 15, 2017
- 2017-18 FBS Coaching Carousel: Dec. 13 Update - December 15, 2017
- NCAA, NAIA Playoff Results, Schedule: Dec. 3 update - December 9, 2017
- Heisman Trophy: Mayfield looks like the winner - December 8, 2017
- 2017 FBS Coaching Carousel: Dec. 6 Update - December 7, 2017