ST. LOUIS, Mo. — It was bad after one quarter Saturday at CBC Stadium as the visiting Concordia-Ann Arbor Cardinals jumped out to a 21-7 lead over the Missouri Baptist Spartans.
And then it got worse.
By halftime, it was 45-7, as the Cardinals cruised to an easy 66-21 win in NAIA action.
Herman Mason opened the scoring for Concordia on a 50-yard pass from Seth Suida just two-and-a-half minutes into the game. Missouri Baptist then responded with an 8-play, 75-yard drive to even things up on a 4-yard run by Austin Schultz less than five minutes into the game.
It took just two plays for Concordia to strike again on a 70-yard touchdown run by Joe Conner who was just getting warmed up. Before the first quarter ended, he added a 33-yard touchdown run en route to rushing for 129 yards in the first quarter alone. He’d finish the day with 168 yards on just 13 carries.
After Conner’s big start, the second quarter would become the Donte Desalle Show. On his only two catches of the day from Suida, the Cardinals’ receiver found the end zone both times on touchdowns of 61 and 36 yards. By the time Ashton Gray scored on a run of 39 yards, the Cardinals had a comfortable 38-point lead at 45-7 headed into halftime.
Gray’s 1-yard dive to open the scoring in the second half then made it 52-7, and the Cardinals finally took their foot off the gas with the victory waiting only on the expiration of the clock.
It won’t get any easier for Missouri Baptist next week with NAIA No. 1 Saint Francis (IN) coming to town. Concordia will have a fight on its hands as well back in Ann Arbor against No. 13 Marian.
- RoadTripSports.com FCS and Small College All-America Teams - January 1, 2019
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 9, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com Defense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Offense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Coaching Staff - December 8, 2018
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018