ST. LOUIS, Mo. — It was bad after one quarter Saturday at CBC Stadium as the visiting Concordia-Ann Arbor Cardinals jumped out to a 21-7 lead over the Missouri Baptist Spartans.
And then it got worse.
By halftime, it was 45-7, as the Cardinals cruised to an easy 66-21 win in NAIA action.
Herman Mason opened the scoring for Concordia on a 50-yard pass from Seth Suida just two-and-a-half minutes into the game. Missouri Baptist then responded with an 8-play, 75-yard drive to even things up on a 4-yard run by Austin Schultz less than five minutes into the game.
It took just two plays for Concordia to strike again on a 70-yard touchdown run by Joe Conner who was just getting warmed up. Before the first quarter ended, he added a 33-yard touchdown run en route to rushing for 129 yards in the first quarter alone. He’d finish the day with 168 yards on just 13 carries.
After Conner’s big start, the second quarter would become the Donte Desalle Show. On his only two catches of the day from Suida, the Cardinals’ receiver found the end zone both times on touchdowns of 61 and 36 yards. By the time Ashton Gray scored on a run of 39 yards, the Cardinals had a comfortable 38-point lead at 45-7 headed into halftime.
Gray’s 1-yard dive to open the scoring in the second half then made it 52-7, and the Cardinals finally took their foot off the gas with the victory waiting only on the expiration of the clock.
It won’t get any easier for Missouri Baptist next week with NAIA No. 1 Saint Francis (IN) coming to town. Concordia will have a fight on its hands as well back in Ann Arbor against No. 13 Marian.
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017