Surprisingly, there hasn’t been an FBS firing at this point in the 2017 season. But we have had some movement on the FBS Coaching Carousel, so it’s time for an update.
We’ve updated our Hot Seat Coaches and our Hot Coaching Names, and we’ll get back to those soon. But for now, we need to update you on the openings that exist as of Oct. 9. Right now, there are just three.
UTEP: Sean Kugler resigned on Oct. 1 after the Miners started the season 0-5. Kugler was on our College Football America Hot Seat Coaches list to start the season, but to see Kugler resign not even halfway through the season was surprising to me. Kugler’s Miners gave up 226 points in five games and the former UTEP player and assistant coach finishes his head-coaching career in El Paso at 18-36. He took the Miners to a bowl game after the 2014 season. This is not an easy job and it won’t be an easy one to fill. Former Miners head coach Mike Price is the interim head coach (he was 48-62 as the full-time coach from 2004-12). Plus, the athletic director, Bob Stull, is trying to retire. Bet that the Miners hire their new AD before they hire their new head coach.
Oregon State: On Oct. 9 Oregon State announced that the university and head coach Gary Anderson were parting ways as a mutual decision after the Beavers started the season 1-5. Andersen never got the Beavers moving once he hit campus in 2015, as they were just 7-23 under him with three Pac-12 victories (Andersen’s career record is 56-61). What’s curious about this is that Andersen and the university did not hold the other accountable to the terms of Anderson’s deal. In other words, Andersen left more than $12 million in guaranteed money behind. Of course, if Andersen had any sort of a non-compete and a clause that kept him from pursuing any other job openings, that goes away as well. But I can’t remember a time when a head coach left a job and didn’t get something as a parting gift. It just leaves a lot of unanswered questions. Cory Hall is the interim coach.
Ole Miss: As you know, Hugh Freeze resigned in July amid controversy related to the NCAA and a lawsuit filed by former Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt, which led the investigation to discover the phone number of an escort on Freeze’s phone. Matt Luke is the interim coach and after the Rebels lost to Auburn, the application for the head-coaching position appeared on the university web site. Ole Miss is under a self-imposed bowl ban. Whoever takes over this program is going to need time to unwind the train wreck it’s become. SEC experience is a plus (Les Miles?).
Plus, there is one other interim situation.
Coastal Carolina: The newest FBS program is without its head coach Joe Moglia, who took a leave of absence before the season began to address a health issue. Jamey Chadwell is the interim coach and Moglia is expected to return, so there is no opening here, just a situation to track.
2017-18 FBS COACHING CARO– USEL
Matt Luke (interim)
Cory Hall (interim)
Mike Price (interim)
- Hamilton, Garth Brooks and some football too on the CFA Road Trip Replay - October 22, 2018
- Heidelberg beats Otterbein to retain Rhine River Cup - October 16, 2018
- Ohio State Buckeyes, NW Missouri Bearcats lead Road Trip Replay Podcast - October 16, 2018
- Haskins leads Ohio State Buckeyes past Minnesota - October 15, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders drop TCU in Fort Worth - October 15, 2018
- Kansas State Wildcats, State Fair Classic highlight fourth 2018 CFA Podcast - October 3, 2018
- Texas Longhorns outlast Kansas State for first win in Manhattan since 2002 - September 30, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders, Colorado Mines highlight third 2018 CFA Podcast - September 20, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders rolls by Houston, 63-42 - September 16, 2018
- Texas A&M Aggies, Midwestern State highlight second 2018 CFA Podcast - September 12, 2018