TYLER, Texas – Down goes No. 2.
After nearly ascending to the top of the NJCAA rankings, Tyler suffered its first loss of the season, 37-26, after building a huge lead against Navarro in Southwest Junior College Football Conference action.
The Apaches (5-1, 3-1) looked the part of one of the top teams in the country by rumbling out to a 24-0 lead. However, the Bulldogs (3-3, 1-3) came roaring back, sparked by a pair of quick touchdowns with less than one minute left in the first half.
Navarro then held Tyler scoreless in the second half.
The Bulldogs got a game-high 118 yards rushing and a touchdown from DeAndre Cook and another 102 yards on the ground from Mori Evans. Quarterback Harry Woodberry, meanwhile, threw for 178 yards and a touchdown.
Navarro also scored two special teams touchdowns.
Tyler quarterback Brennen Wooten threw for 233 yards and two touchdowns.
It won’t get any easier for the Apaches, ranked No. 7 in the College Football America Juco Top 30, this coming weekend. They’ll head to Athens Saturday for a late afternoon game at CFA No. 10 Trinity Valley.
Navarro will also be in action Saturday returning home to face Kilgore in Corsicana.
- Prairie View Snaps Grambling’s 26-Game SWAC Winning Streak - October 1, 2018
- Colorado rumbles to 3-0 start with convincing win over UNH - September 19, 2018
- Colorado Mines chisels out win over CSU-Pueblo - September 18, 2018
- Clemson hold off pesky Texas A&M for soggy 28-26 road victory - September 10, 2018
- Prairie View A&M claims MEAC-SWAC Challenge victory - September 6, 2018
- More Cowbell: Mississippi State runs roughshod over SFA - September 5, 2018
- Late TD lifts Georgia State past Kennesaw State, 24-20 - September 5, 2018
- Snow Returns to Utah With Season-Opening Victory Over TVCC - August 27, 2018
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 14 - December 1, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 13 - November 22, 2017