ASHLAND CITY, Tenn. – The Greenbrier (TN) Bobcats knew it was Cheatham County (Ashland City, TN) Central’s homecoming, but they weren’t in the mood to be gracious guests.
Instead, they treated the Cubs’ Mike Jarreau Field like it was their own with a 35-19 win in a battle of two 6-1 Middle Tennessee squads.
The first half looked like it might turn out to be a different story. Greenbrier led 7-6 early in the second quarter on a 13-yard Payton Brown touchdown run before the Cubs surged into the lead with 13 straight points to take a 19-7 lead.
Greenbrier was able to sneak in for one score just before halftime, though, to trim the lead to 19-14 when Andrew Cline found Melvin Holman on a 38-yard scoring strike.
Cheatham came out looking to reassert itself early in the second half driving inside Greenbrier’s 10-yard line to start the third-quarter, but an interception by the Bobcats’ Micah Escue ended the Cubs’ scoring threat. It would prove to be a turning point.
Instead, it was Greenbrier that would move into the lead, and Escue would prove to be a difference-maker on offense, too, with touchdown runs of 7 and 27 yards in the second half.
Greenbrier improved to 7-1 with the win, and will take a week off before facing the Springfield (TN) Yellowjackets on Friday, October 20. Cheatham County Central will take a bye week as well next week before playing host to the Stewart County (Dover, TN) Rebels that same night.
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017