ASHLAND CITY, Tenn. – The Greenbrier (TN) Bobcats knew it was Cheatham County (Ashland City, TN) Central’s homecoming, but they weren’t in the mood to be gracious guests.
Instead, they treated the Cubs’ Mike Jarreau Field like it was their own with a 35-19 win in a battle of two 6-1 Middle Tennessee squads.
The first half looked like it might turn out to be a different story. Greenbrier led 7-6 early in the second quarter on a 13-yard Payton Brown touchdown run before the Cubs surged into the lead with 13 straight points to take a 19-7 lead.
Greenbrier was able to sneak in for one score just before halftime, though, to trim the lead to 19-14 when Andrew Cline found Melvin Holman on a 38-yard scoring strike.
Cheatham came out looking to reassert itself early in the second half driving inside Greenbrier’s 10-yard line to start the third-quarter, but an interception by the Bobcats’ Micah Escue ended the Cubs’ scoring threat. It would prove to be a turning point.
Instead, it was Greenbrier that would move into the lead, and Escue would prove to be a difference-maker on offense, too, with touchdown runs of 7 and 27 yards in the second half.
Greenbrier improved to 7-1 with the win, and will take a week off before facing the Springfield (TN) Yellowjackets on Friday, October 20. Cheatham County Central will take a bye week as well next week before playing host to the Stewart County (Dover, TN) Rebels that same night.
- RoadTripSports.com FCS and Small College All-America Teams - January 1, 2019
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 9, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com Defense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Offense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Coaching Staff - December 8, 2018
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018