SMU (4-1, 1-0) pulled away late with 21 fourth-quarter points for the victory on a gorgeous final day of September. SMU quarterback Ben Hicks threw for 280 yards and four touchdowns, including two scores each to Trey Quinn and Courtland Sutton.
The Ponies also got a rushing touchdown each from Xavier Jones, Braden West and Ke’Mon Freeman.
The Mustangs raced out to a 21-10 lead before the Huskies (1-3, 0-2) rallied to tie the game at 28 on a 59-yard touchdown pass from Bryant Shirreffs to Keylon Dixon and a 2-point conversion. Shirreffs finished with 408 yards and a pair of touchdowns.
“I’m extremely proud of this football team,” SMU head coach Chad Morris said. “This is a football game that would have been hard to win the last two years with where we were with our program.
“The way these young men responded today was huge. Games like this will do nothing but make us better and stronger.”
The win was the first in a conference opener for the Mustangs since 2012.
- Prairie View Snaps Grambling’s 26-Game SWAC Winning Streak - October 1, 2018
- Colorado rumbles to 3-0 start with convincing win over UNH - September 19, 2018
- Colorado Mines chisels out win over CSU-Pueblo - September 18, 2018
- Clemson hold off pesky Texas A&M for soggy 28-26 road victory - September 10, 2018
- Prairie View A&M claims MEAC-SWAC Challenge victory - September 6, 2018
- More Cowbell: Mississippi State runs roughshod over SFA - September 5, 2018
- Late TD lifts Georgia State past Kennesaw State, 24-20 - September 5, 2018
- Snow Returns to Utah With Season-Opening Victory Over TVCC - August 27, 2018
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 14 - December 1, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 13 - November 22, 2017