WAVERLY, Iowa – Wartburg is out to claim the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference title, and it took another step forward on Sept. 30 by pounding defending IIAC champion Coe, 34-7.
The Knights (4-0, 2-0 in IIAC), who last won the IIAC in 2014, picked off Coe quarterback Quentin White five times in the contest, including a pair by Peyton Imhoff. It was more than enough to put the offense in position to pull away in a game in which the Knights never trailed.
Wartburg quarterback Matt Sacia threw for 360 yards and four touchdowns. Running back Connor Schrader rushed for 62 yards, while Dylan Binion pitched in 36 rushing yards and a score.
Wide receiver Griffin Brennecke benefited the most from Sacia’s huge day, as he caught seven passes for 154 yards and a touchdown. Riley Brockway, meanwhile, had seven receptions for 89 yards and two scores, while Denison Harrington caught Sacia’s other touchdown pass and three others for a total of 68 yards.
While the Knights racked up 540 yards in total offense, Coe (3-2, 1-2) managed just 215 total yards as it struggled to move the ball all day. The Kohawks held the ball for just 23:14 in the contest, converted only 4 of their 14 third-down opportunities and were held to 99 yards rushing.
White threw Coe’s only score of the game, an 8-yard touchdown pass to Trevor Noble. Despite the net rushing number, Coe’s Tyler Dralle did manage a 100-yard rushing game, snagging 104 yards on 19 carries. Dralle also had three catches for 43 yards.
Next up for Wartburg is a visit to Central (IA) on Saturday. Coe will take a bye week before hosting that same Central squad on October 14 while trying to break a two-game losing streak.
- Valdosta State wins D2 national title - December 15, 2018
- UMHB Crusaders win Stagg Bowl, 24-16 - December 15, 2018
- Ferris State takes down Ouachita Baptist in D2 playoffs - December 2, 2018
- UMHB rolls past Hardin-Simmons in Division III first-round playoff win - November 18, 2018
- Hamilton, Garth Brooks and some football too on the CFA Road Trip Replay - October 22, 2018
- Heidelberg beats Otterbein to retain Rhine River Cup - October 16, 2018
- Ohio State Buckeyes, NW Missouri Bearcats lead Road Trip Replay Podcast - October 16, 2018
- Haskins leads Ohio State Buckeyes past Minnesota - October 15, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders drop TCU in Fort Worth - October 15, 2018
- Kansas State Wildcats, State Fair Classic highlight fourth 2018 CFA Podcast - October 3, 2018