CINCINNATI – It took a while for the Mount St. Joseph Lions to get rolling, but once they did, they were hard to stop.
Just ask the Hanover defense.
After a scoreless first quarter, the Lion poured 21 points on the Panthers before halftime en route to a 35-20 win Saturday. Grayson Roberts did the honors on all three of the Lions’ touchdown plays on passes of 18, 44 and 55 yards from Chaiten Tomlin.
Roberts ultimately hauled in five of Tomlin’s passes for 145 yards. Tomlin’s stat line, otherwise, was a little bizarre with just 16 completions on his 31 attempts. But five of those ultimately ended up going for touchdowns helping to overcome the 15 incompletions. The big plays also helped roll up an impressive yardage total of 286 yards, and Tomlin didn’t have any interceptions.
Hanover, meanwhile, found itself in a 21-6 hole by halftime despite the scoreless first quarter. That eventually grew to 35-6 before the Panthers scored a couple of fourth-quarter touchdowns to make the scoreboard look more respectable.
Forced to pass most of the second half, however, the Panthers played right into the hands of the Lions’ defense, and Hanover quarterback Chase Lightfoot ultimately connected on just 27-of-54 attempts for 252 yards. He did have a couple of touchdown throws to Conner Gibson and Shawn Coane, but two interceptions also limited the Panthers’ effectiveness on offense.
Mount St. Joseph will get back to business on the road Saturday at Rose-Hulman while Hanover will take a week off before hosting Bluffton on October 14.
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017