CINCINNATI – It took a while for the Mount St. Joseph Lions to get rolling, but once they did, they were hard to stop.
Just ask the Hanover defense.
After a scoreless first quarter, the Lion poured 21 points on the Panthers before halftime en route to a 35-20 win Saturday. Grayson Roberts did the honors on all three of the Lions’ touchdown plays on passes of 18, 44 and 55 yards from Chaiten Tomlin.
Roberts ultimately hauled in five of Tomlin’s passes for 145 yards. Tomlin’s stat line, otherwise, was a little bizarre with just 16 completions on his 31 attempts. But five of those ultimately ended up going for touchdowns helping to overcome the 15 incompletions. The big plays also helped roll up an impressive yardage total of 286 yards, and Tomlin didn’t have any interceptions.
Hanover, meanwhile, found itself in a 21-6 hole by halftime despite the scoreless first quarter. That eventually grew to 35-6 before the Panthers scored a couple of fourth-quarter touchdowns to make the scoreboard look more respectable.
Forced to pass most of the second half, however, the Panthers played right into the hands of the Lions’ defense, and Hanover quarterback Chase Lightfoot ultimately connected on just 27-of-54 attempts for 252 yards. He did have a couple of touchdown throws to Conner Gibson and Shawn Coane, but two interceptions also limited the Panthers’ effectiveness on offense.
Mount St. Joseph will get back to business on the road Saturday at Rose-Hulman while Hanover will take a week off before hosting Bluffton on October 14.
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017