Courtesy of the Maxwell Football Club
PHILDELPHIA – Each week during the 2017 season the Maxwell Football Club will recognize outstanding performances with two weekly awards. The Maxwell Award Player of the Week will be recognized for overall performance on offense, defense or special teams, and the Chuck Bednarik Award Player of the Week will be honored for outstanding defensive play. Players selected do not have to be represented on the Maxwell or Bednarik Award watch lists.
The players of the week for week four are:
Maxwell Award Player of the Week – Saquon Barkley – Penn State
Barkley was unstoppable last Saturday as he led Penn State to a thrilling road victory over Iowa. Barkley amassed 358 all-purpose yards to set a new school record. His 211 rushing yards allowed him to become only the 7th player in Penn State history to break the 3,000 yards rushing mark for a career. He scored one touchdown on the ground, and added 94 yards through the air and 53 yards on kick returns in what was one of the most electric performances this season. Penn State returns to Happy Valley as they take on Indiana this Saturday.
Jewell led the Iowa defense in what was a valiant effort in a defeat at the hands of Penn State last Saturday. Jewell racked up 16 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, one fumble recovery, and one interception as part of a defense that held Penn State to only 21 points. This is Jewell’s second Player of the Week honor this season and he will look to put up similar numbers as Iowa travels to East Lansing to take on Michigan State this Saturday.
The Maxwell and Bednarik Awards are members of the National College Football Awards Association (NCFAA) which encompasses the most prestigious awards in college football. The 22 awards boast over 744 years of tradition-selection excellence. Visit www.NCFAA.org to learn more about our story.
Semifinalists for the Maxwell and Bednarik Awards will be announced October 30, 2017, while the three finalists for each award will be unveiled November 20, 2017. The winners of the 2017 Maxwell and Bednarik Awards will be announced as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show held on December 7, 2017. The formal presentations of these awards will be made at the Maxwell Football Club Awards Gala hosted by Tropicana Hotel & Casino Atlantic City on March 9, 2018.
- RoadTripSports.com FCS and Small College All-America Teams - January 1, 2019
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 9, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com Defense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Offense Starting Lineup - December 8, 2018
- The RoadTripSports.com All-America Coaching Staff - December 8, 2018
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018