ABILENE, Texas – The Hardin-Simmons Cowboys rode a high-flying offense and a stingy defense to a 55-10 victory Saturday over the visiting Louisiana College Wildcats.
Cowboys’ quarterback Landry Turner accounted for 383 passing yards, more than half of the team’s 681-yard total output. He had plenty of help, though, as Jaquan Hemphill had 154 yards rushing and a touchdown on just 16 carries. Hemphill was also one of five Cowboys to catch at least three passes, each of whom were on the receiving end of one of Turner’s five touchdown tosses.
While the offense was rolling up yards and points, the Cowboys’ defense was proving to be just as effective on the other end limiting the Wildcats to just 299 yards of total offense. That included limiting freshman quarterback Wayne Griffin to just 102 yards passing on 11-of-28 pass attempts.
The game was just 7-0 after one quarter of play on a 76-yard Colten Kent touchdown reception from Turner, but it quickly got out of hand in the second quarter when Turner threw his other four touchdown passes. None of the scoring drives took more than four plays including a 4-play, 98-yard drive capped by a 12-yard Turner-to-Reese Childress scoring strike. Alex Bell and Devonte’ Walker also got in on the scoring party with touchdown receptions of their own from Turner as the Cowboys built a 34-0 halftime lead.
Hardin-Simmons is back in action this Saturday at Howard Payne while Louisiana College will host Southwestern (TX).
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017