PHILADELPHIA – Each week during the 2017 season, the Maxwell Football Club will recognize outstanding performances with two weekly awards. The Maxwell Award Player of the Week will be recognized for overall performance on offense, defense or special teams, and the Chuck Bednarik Award Player of the Week will be honored for outstanding defensive play. Players selected do not have to be represented on the Maxwell or Bednarik Award watch lists.
Maxwell Award Player of the Week – Baker Mayfield – Oklahoma
Mayfield felt right at home this week in Columbus, Ohio, as he led No. 5 Oklahoma to a tough road victory over No. 2 Ohio State. Mayfield completed 26-of-34 passes for 387 yards and three touchdowns in the 31-16 win. This week he will look to continue his stellar season as the Sooners host Tulane this Saturday.
Chuck Bednarik Award Player of the Week – Austin Bryant – Clemson
Bryant dominated on defense this week as No. 3 Clemson dismantled No. 13 Auburn on Saturday. Bryant contributed seven total tackles and four of his team’s 11 sacks as Clemson held the Auburn offense to only 68 total yards and 0 touchdowns. He looks to carry this momentum into the tough road test this week as Clemson takes on the reigning Maxwell Award Recipient Lamar Jackson and Louisville this Saturday.
The Maxwell and Bednarik Awards are members of the National College Football Awards Association (NCFAA) which encompasses the most prestigious awards in college football. The 22 awards boast over 744 years of tradition-selection excellence. Visit www.NCFAA.org to learn more about our story.
Semifinalists for the Maxwell and Bednarik Awards will be announced October 30, 2017, while the three finalists for each award will be unveiled November 20, 2017. The winners of the 2017 Maxwell and Bednarik Awards will be announced as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show held on December 7, 2017. The formal presentations of these awards will be made at the Maxwell Football Club Awards Gala hosted by Tropicana Hotel & Casino Atlantic City on March 9, 2018.
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Sooners squash Frogs’ playoff hopes in 38-20 win - November 16, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017
- Whitwell boots Gordonsville from TSSAA playoffs - November 15, 2017
- CFP Selection Committee releases third set of Top 25 rankings - November 14, 2017
- FWAA-NFF Super 16 reshaped by Georgia, Notre Dame losses - November 12, 2017
- North Dakota’s 2017 state champions are crowned - November 11, 2017
- High School Headlines: More state champs to be crowned this weekend - November 10, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 11 - November 9, 2017