MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Badgers were missing in action for most of the first half Friday night in their season opening 59-10 win against the visiting Utah State Aggies.
Trailing 10-0 on their own home field at Camp Randall Stadium, the Badgers finally got on the board after eating up more than eight minutes with a methodical 15-play, 79-yard drive. Bradrick Shaw did the honors with a leaping 3-yard touchdown dive over the top of the pile to trim Utah State’s lead to a field goal with just 1:12 remaining in the half.
It was the beginning of a rout.
Following the ensuing kickoff, it took just one play for Wisconsin to regain possession when linebacker T.J. Edwards intercepted Aggies’ quarterback Kent Myers setting the Badgers up with possession on Utah State’s 18-yard line. The Aggie defense held, but Rafael Gaglianone’s 29-yard field goal tied the game at 10-all on the final play of the first half. Suddenly, in a span of just 1:12 on the clock, Utah State’s 10-point advantage had been completely wiped out.
It took the Badgers just two minutes into the third quarter to take their first lead of the game at 17-10 on Troy Fumagalli’s 23-yard touchdown reception from Alex Hornibrook. Less than two minutes later, they struck again with Hornibrook connecting with Zander Neuville on a 28-yard scoring strike to make it 24-10.
Wisconsin would add two more touchdowns before the the third quarter came to a close including Hornibrook’s third touchdown pass of the night to Quintez Cephus. Even after clearing the bench in the final quarter, the rout continued, and the Badgers scored three more touchdowns to make it 59 unanswered points before the final gun sounded.
Up next for the Badgers is an early game Saturday against Lane Kiffin’s Florida Atlantic Owls at home in Madison. Utah State, meanwhile, will have another Friday game back home in Logan, Utah, against Idaho State.
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017
- Canada, Mexico to stage college football championships Saturday - November 24, 2017
- Louisiana pulls away from NM State late for 47-34 win - November 21, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017