ATHENS, Texas – The ‘Battle in the Valley’ wasn’t much of a battle.
The Southwest Junior College Football Conference’s Trinity Valley Community College Cardinals breezed to a 57-3 win over the Western States Football League’s Pima Aztecs in a rainy NJCAA season opener at the renovated Bruce Field in Athens, Texas.
TVCC quarterback Shelton Eppler had a hand in six of the Cardinals’ touchdowns including a first half in which he accounted for five – three through the air and two more on the ground. Thanks to Eppler, the Cardinals had pretty much put the game out of reach at 33-3 heading into halftime.
Just to be sure, Khalil Banks returned the opening kick of the second half 86 yards for another score to make it 40-3.
The win allowed TVCC to pull even in the annual Battle in the Valley series at 3-3. The Cardinals head straight into SWJCFC play Saturday with a road date at Navarro while Pima will try to straighten things out with a home date against Soul Patrol.
- Prairie View Snaps Grambling’s 26-Game SWAC Winning Streak - October 1, 2018
- Colorado rumbles to 3-0 start with convincing win over UNH - September 19, 2018
- Colorado Mines chisels out win over CSU-Pueblo - September 18, 2018
- Clemson hold off pesky Texas A&M for soggy 28-26 road victory - September 10, 2018
- Prairie View A&M claims MEAC-SWAC Challenge victory - September 6, 2018
- More Cowbell: Mississippi State runs roughshod over SFA - September 5, 2018
- Late TD lifts Georgia State past Kennesaw State, 24-20 - September 5, 2018
- Snow Returns to Utah With Season-Opening Victory Over TVCC - August 27, 2018
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 14 - December 1, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 13 - November 22, 2017