Courtesy of Maxwell Football Club
The Maxwell Football Club has announced its watch list for the 23rd annual Chuck Bednarik Award.
The Bednarik Award has been presented to the College Defensive Player of the Year since 1995. Chuck Bednarik, former standout at Penn and with the Philadelphia Eagles, is a member of both the College Football Hall of Fame’s Class of 1969 and the NFL Hall of Fame’s Class of 1967.
The watch list will once again incorporate a broad spectrum of Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) programs and conferences from coast to coast.
The Chuck Bednarik Award watch list features fresh faces, as 2016 finalists Jonathan Allen (Alabama), Myles Garrett (Texas A&M) and Jabril Peppers (Michigan) have all moved on to the NFL. Ohio State checks in with a quartet of Buckeye defenders in Nick Bosa, Tyquan Lewis, Denzel Ward and Jerome Baker. Meanwhile, Florida State and USC are strongly represented by four and three candidates, respectively.
Allen, the 2016 Bednarik Award winner, became the first Alabama player to win the award in 2016. He was a first round NFL draft pick of the Washington Redskins.
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Sooners squash Frogs’ playoff hopes in 38-20 win - November 16, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017
- Whitwell boots Gordonsville from TSSAA playoffs - November 15, 2017
- CFP Selection Committee releases third set of Top 25 rankings - November 14, 2017
- FWAA-NFF Super 16 reshaped by Georgia, Notre Dame losses - November 12, 2017
- North Dakota’s 2017 state champions are crowned - November 11, 2017
- High School Headlines: More state champs to be crowned this weekend - November 10, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 11 - November 9, 2017