Everyday RoadTripSports.com celebrates the past, present and future of American football including birthdays, deaths, and important games and events that have occurred in the past through our daily feature This Date in American Football History. Get to know the legends of American football – the sport’s greatest heroes including players and coaches, and relive some of the greatest plays and moments in the game’s history.
Then be sure to check out our Legends Library for historical profiles on the game’s greats or research your favorite schools or players in our databases for College Football Hall of Fame inductees, All-Americans and major award winners. Or take a moment to explore the various branches of the internet’s most complete coaching tree!
You can also follow your favorite teams here as well by selecting the appropriate division on our College Football Teams page or by locating your favorite professional team page. Team pages for all divisions of college football are available including NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS), NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (FCS), NCAA Division II, NCAA Division III, NAIA, NJCAA, CCCAA and CIS (Canada). Also, independent team and club team pages are available including teams holding associate membership in the USCAA and NCCAA.
Games, Plays and Events
1987 – The 1987 Fiesta Bowl featured the No. 1 Miami (FL) Hurricanes with Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde at quarterback against the No. 2 Penn State Nittany Lions. The game turned out to be a defensive battle, however, and the in the end, the Nittany Lions came away with a 14-10 win.
1996 – The 1996 Fiesta Bowl featured two undefeated teams – the No. 1 Nebraska Cornhuskers and the No. 2 Florida Gators. In the end, the Cornhuskers won in a 62-24 blowout behind the MVP performance of quarterback Tommie Frazier.
- FWAA-NFF Super 16 Poll Week 4 - September 24, 2017
- San Diego State’s Kelly earns weekly Nagurski honor - September 23, 2017
- High School Headlines: IMG vs. Central highlights the weekly schedule - September 22, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 4 - September 21, 2017
- NIU win at Nebraska earns FWAA Team of the Week honors - September 20, 2017
- Midwestern State mourns the loss of Robert Grays - September 20, 2017
- Baylor’s Galitz named Ray Guy Punter of the Week - September 19, 2017
- No. 6 Blue Raiders pound Bulldogs 68-26 - September 19, 2017
- ACU opens new Wildcat Stadium in style with 24-3 win - September 19, 2017
- Cowboys ride past Wildcats in 55-10 rout - September 19, 2017