SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 5, 2016
Photos by Chuck Cox
SAN DIEGO — They came from south of the border, a successful Mexican college football team looking to test themselves against their American counterparts. For the most part, UDLAP’s trip to San Diego went as expected with their American hosts — the San Diego Toreros of the NCAA’s Division I Pioneer League — coming away with a 49-25 win in an exhibition game at Torero Stadium.
But that isn’t to say that UDLAP didn’t impress. With the score tied at 7-all early in the second quarter, the Aztecas hung around long enough to serve notice that the Toreros were going to have to turn it up a notch or two to get the win. Eventually, they did, and the Toreros turned the close game into a rout by halftime leading 35-7 at the break.
Quarterback Anthony Lawrence led the charge finishing 16-of-20 for 171 yards and three touchdowns for the Toreros while running back Jonah Hodges had a pair of rushing touchdowns. Jereke Armstrong also had 72 yards and a touchdown on 17 attempts.
But UDLAP still had some gas in the tank outscoring the Toreros 18-14 in the second half. That included a 99-yard pass play from Alfredo Linares to Robin Gonzalez late in the fourth quarter showing that the Aztecas still had the resolve to play to the end.
The loss was UDLAP’s first of the season, while San Diego improved to 7-1. The Toreros host the Stetson Hatters next Saturday in their final home game of the season.
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 11 - November 9, 2017
- Camels get over the hump against Wildcats in 42-29 win - November 7, 2017
- Wyoming crushes New Mexico 42-3 - October 31, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 10 - October 31, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 9 - October 26, 2017
- Stephen F. Austin defeats Houston Baptist, 27-10 - October 25, 2017
- Bowl Eligibility Report: Week 8 - October 19, 2017
- Fresno State blasts New Mexico 38-0 - October 17, 2017
- Fresno City crushes Chabot in 42-14 homecoming win - October 17, 2017