SATURDAY, October 29, 2016
Photos by Chuck Cox
WICHITA FALLS, Texas — Chalk this one up to growing pains.
The first-year program from the University of Texas of the Permian Basin ran headfirst into a buzz saw in the form of Midwestern State.
The Mustangs bounced back from their first loss of the season with a 76-21 shellacking of the Falcons in Lone Star Conference action at Memorial Stadium. MSU (7-1, 6-1) got two touchdown passes apiece from Quade Coward and Layton Rabb. Nicholas Gabriel rushed for 128 yards and a touchdown, while Vincent Johnson rushed for 82 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Mustang offense.
UTPB freshman quarterback threw for 216 yards and two touchdowns and was sacked four times. The Falcons (2-7, 0-7) also got a rushing score from Marquis Simmons.
- Texas Wesleyan loses in first home game since 1941 - September 11, 2017
- Panthers shut out Dragons 44-0 to open season - September 8, 2017
- Hurricanes blast Wildcats in 41-13 season-opening win - September 8, 2017
- FAU stumbles against Navy in Kiffin’s debut - September 8, 2017
- TVCC pounds Pima 57-3 in Battle in the Valley opener - August 29, 2017
- NCAA FBS: Tennessee’s Dobbs leads Vols past Kentucky - November 13, 2016
- ONEFA/NCAA FCS: San Diego takes down UDLAP 49-25 in exhibition - November 7, 2016
- NCAA D2: Midwestern State crushes newcomer UTPB, 76-21 - November 4, 2016
- NCAA D3: Southwestern blanks Austin College 35-0 - November 3, 2016
- UIL (TX) HFB: Frisco punches playoff ticket with victory over Liberty - November 1, 2016