GRAPEVINE, Texas – The College Football Playoff Selection Committee announced its first set of Top 25 rankings. Alabama is No. 1, Clemson No. 2, Michigan No. 3 and Texas A&M is No. 4.
The committee will prepare five more rankings this season, including the final set on Selection Day, Sunday, December 4. The top four teams in the final rankings will play in the Playoff Semifinals on December 31, 2016, at the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl and Fiesta Bowl.
“I am excited to kick off the third year of the College Football Playoff and lead this committee,” said selection chairman Kirby Hocutt. “Our committee is made up of 12 college football experts with diverse professional backgrounds who were selected because of their experience and knowledge.
“There are many factors that go into our rankings. While winning tells us a lot, it doesn’t tell us everything. This committee goes deeper – considering strength of schedule, quality wins, who teams have beaten and where and head-to-head match ups. There is still a lot of football to be played and for teams to continue to build their body of work for the committee to evaluate.”
Complete rankings can be found on the official website of the College Football Playoff at www.collegefootballplayoff.com.
- Georgia Tech rambles past Pittsburgh, 35-17 - September 26, 2017
- Harrison’s big play offense proves too much for Allatoona - September 25, 2017
- FWAA-NFF Super 16 Poll Week 4 - September 24, 2017
- San Diego State’s Kelly earns weekly Nagurski honor - September 23, 2017
- High School Headlines: IMG vs. Central highlights the weekly schedule - September 22, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 4 - September 21, 2017
- NIU win at Nebraska earns FWAA Team of the Week honors - September 20, 2017
- Midwestern State mourns the loss of Robert Grays - September 20, 2017
- Baylor’s Galitz named Ray Guy Punter of the Week - September 19, 2017
- No. 6 Blue Raiders pound Bulldogs 68-26 - September 19, 2017