SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2016
Photos by Matthew Postins
NACOGDOCHES, Texas — With Stephen F. Austin a field goal away from tying the game at 37-all in the the fourth quarter, Southeastern Louisiana blocked the kick and returned it for a touchdown to set off a final-quarter scoring surge for the Lions.
Southeast’s scoring binge ended with the Lions ahead 58-34 at the final horn. SLU’s Courtney Rutledge did the honors on the blocked field goal return, a play that set the Lumberjacks back 10 points instead of being tied. Then on the ensuing possession, the Lions’ Jacorey Fuller picked off SFA quarterback Hunter Taylor and returned it for another touchdown to put the game away.
SFA rallied from a 20-point deficit late in the first half before nearly tying the game on the doomed attempt that began the SLU rally. The Lumberjacks’ Loren Easly had a season-best 169 yards rushing and two long touchdown runs to move to 1,094 career rushing yards, making him the 25th player in SFA history to eclipse 1,000 rushing yards.
The Lions’ Justin Alo, meanwhile, threw for 270 yards and three scores before leaving the game with an injury.
- 2017 FCS Standings: Week 2 Update - September 15, 2017
- Week 2 FBS Standings, Week 3 Schedule - September 14, 2017
- Postscripts: Week 2 Review - September 14, 2017
- Horned Frogs defense shuts down Arkansas in 28-7 win - September 11, 2017
- Villanova outlasts Lehigh for 38-35 season-opening win - September 8, 2017
- Army crushes Fordham at West Point, 64-6 - September 8, 2017
- Postscripts: Week 1 - September 7, 2017
- FBS Week 1 Standings, Week 2 Schedule - September 7, 2017
- UConn rallies in second half to upend Holy Cross, 27-20 - September 4, 2017
- Saint Francis (IN) No. 1 in CFA Yearbook’s NAIA Preseason Top 30 - August 24, 2017