SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2016
Photos by Matthew Postins
NACOGDOCHES, Texas — With Stephen F. Austin a field goal away from tying the game at 37-all in the the fourth quarter, Southeastern Louisiana blocked the kick and returned it for a touchdown to set off a final-quarter scoring surge for the Lions.
Southeast’s scoring binge ended with the Lions ahead 58-34 at the final horn. SLU’s Courtney Rutledge did the honors on the blocked field goal return, a play that set the Lumberjacks back 10 points instead of being tied. Then on the ensuing possession, the Lions’ Jacorey Fuller picked off SFA quarterback Hunter Taylor and returned it for another touchdown to put the game away.
SFA rallied from a 20-point deficit late in the first half before nearly tying the game on the doomed attempt that began the SLU rally. The Lumberjacks’ Loren Easly had a season-best 169 yards rushing and two long touchdown runs to move to 1,094 career rushing yards, making him the 25th player in SFA history to eclipse 1,000 rushing yards.
The Lions’ Justin Alo, meanwhile, threw for 270 yards and three scores before leaving the game with an injury.
- 2017 Head-Coaching Hire Analysis: First-Year Head Coaches - January 21, 2017
- Final FBS Standings for 2016 - January 17, 2017
- 2016-17 College Bowl Season Final Results - January 14, 2017
- FBS Coaching Carousel: Fickell, Kiffin return to head coaching ranks - December 13, 2016
- 2016 FBS Coaching Carousel: Baylor hires Temple’s Matt Rhule as head coach - December 7, 2016
- The Heisman Top 25: The Finalists Will Be … - December 4, 2016
- The Heisman Top 25 (November 29) - November 29, 2016
- 2016 FBS Coaching Carousel (November 28) - November 28, 2016
- The Heisman Top 25: November 25, 2016 - November 25, 2016
- The Heisman Top 25: November 17 - November 17, 2016