SATURDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2016
Photos by Chuck Cox
WAXAHACHIE, Texas — Defending conference champion Arizona Christian spoiled Southwest Assemblies of God’s Homecoming with a thrilling 29-22 victory.
Quarterback Geerrit Groenwold completed 20 of 30 passes for 196 yards and two touchdowns, while Quinta Thomas rushed for 138 yards and a touchdown to lead the Firestorm. The Lions took a one-point lead at 22-21 with 9:26 left in the game before the Firestorm (3-2, 2-0) sealed the win with a late touchdown and a 2-point conversion.
Arizona Christian now stands atop the Central States Football League standings at 2-0 while SAGU dropped into a tie with Texas College at the bottom of the standings at 0-2.
SAGU gets a chance to climb out of the hole at Wayland Baptist next Saturday while Arizona Christians will play host to Texas College.
- Crimson Tide rolls past Rams in 41-23 win - September 20, 2017
- Blazers burn Coastal Carolina 30-23 in Birmingham - September 19, 2017
- Texas Wesleyan loses in first home game since 1941 - September 11, 2017
- Panthers shut out Dragons 44-0 to open season - September 8, 2017
- Hurricanes blast Wildcats in 41-13 season-opening win - September 8, 2017
- FAU stumbles against Navy in Kiffin’s debut - September 8, 2017
- TVCC pounds Pima 57-3 in Battle in the Valley opener - August 29, 2017
- NCAA FBS: Tennessee’s Dobbs leads Vols past Kentucky - November 13, 2016
- ONEFA/NCAA FCS: San Diego takes down UDLAP 49-25 in exhibition - November 7, 2016
- NCAA D2: Midwestern State crushes newcomer UTPB, 76-21 - November 4, 2016