The Mad Hatter is unemployed. LSU fired Les Miles Sunday.
Miles was one of two head coaches to lose his job on Sunday, representing two early additions to the 2016 FBS Coaching Carousel, as FIU’s Ron Turner was also fired.
Miles was close to being fired at the end of last year but retained his job. Apparently a 2-2 start was too much for LSU to take. Their losses — a season-opening loss to Wisconsin at Lambeau Field and their SEC-opening loss to Auburn — represented two opportunities for the Tigers to enhance their national title hopes. The Tigers’ loss to Auburn was especially troubling after holding a slim 13-12 lead entering the final quarter against the Tigers. LSU nearly won the game, but their game-winning touchdown came with time already expired and it was overturned on replay.
At LSU Miles went 114-34 and led the Tigers to two BCS National Championship games, winning the 2007 title. Overall Miles is 141-55. In other words Miles won’t be long for a job if he wants to coach again in 2017.
Turner might have more of an issue finding another head coaching gig after going 10-30 in three-plus seasons at FIU. In three stops at San Jose State, Illinois and FIU Turner has an overall head-coaching record of 52-91.
Check out our other Hot Seat Coaches, which we published recently. And stay tuned for our Top 25 Hot Coaching Names, coming soon to RoadTripSports.com and CollegeFootballAmerica.
2016 FBS COACHING CARO– USEL
|FIU||Ron Turner||Ron Cooper (interim)|
|LSU||Les Miles||Ed Orgeron (interim)|
- Hamilton, Garth Brooks and some football too on the CFA Road Trip Replay - October 22, 2018
- Heidelberg beats Otterbein to retain Rhine River Cup - October 16, 2018
- Ohio State Buckeyes, NW Missouri Bearcats lead Road Trip Replay Podcast - October 16, 2018
- Haskins leads Ohio State Buckeyes past Minnesota - October 15, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders drop TCU in Fort Worth - October 15, 2018
- Kansas State Wildcats, State Fair Classic highlight fourth 2018 CFA Podcast - October 3, 2018
- Texas Longhorns outlast Kansas State for first win in Manhattan since 2002 - September 30, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders, Colorado Mines highlight third 2018 CFA Podcast - September 20, 2018
- Texas Tech Red Raiders rolls by Houston, 63-42 - September 16, 2018
- Texas A&M Aggies, Midwestern State highlight second 2018 CFA Podcast - September 12, 2018