The Mad Hatter is unemployed. LSU fired Les Miles Sunday.
Miles was one of two head coaches to lose his job on Sunday, representing two early additions to the 2016 FBS Coaching Carousel, as FIU’s Ron Turner was also fired.
Miles was close to being fired at the end of last year but retained his job. Apparently a 2-2 start was too much for LSU to take. Their losses — a season-opening loss to Wisconsin at Lambeau Field and their SEC-opening loss to Auburn — represented two opportunities for the Tigers to enhance their national title hopes. The Tigers’ loss to Auburn was especially troubling after holding a slim 13-12 lead entering the final quarter against the Tigers. LSU nearly won the game, but their game-winning touchdown came with time already expired and it was overturned on replay.
At LSU Miles went 114-34 and led the Tigers to two BCS National Championship games, winning the 2007 title. Overall Miles is 141-55. In other words Miles won’t be long for a job if he wants to coach again in 2017.
Turner might have more of an issue finding another head coaching gig after going 10-30 in three-plus seasons at FIU. In three stops at San Jose State, Illinois and FIU Turner has an overall head-coaching record of 52-91.
Check out our other Hot Seat Coaches, which we published recently. And stay tuned for our Top 25 Hot Coaching Names, coming soon to RoadTripSports.com and CollegeFootballAmerica.
2016 FBS COACHING CAROUSEL
|FIU||Ron Turner||Ron Cooper (interim)|
|LSU||Les Miles||Ed Orgeron (interim)|
- Postscripts: Week 3 - September 21, 2017
- FCS Standings: Week 3 Final - September 20, 2017
- FBS Standings: Week 3 Final - September 20, 2017
- 2017 FCS Standings: Week 2 Update - September 15, 2017
- Week 2 FBS Standings, Week 3 Schedule - September 14, 2017
- Postscripts: Week 2 Review - September 14, 2017
- Horned Frogs defense shuts down Arkansas in 28-7 win - September 11, 2017
- Villanova outlasts Lehigh for 38-35 season-opening win - September 8, 2017
- Army crushes Fordham at West Point, 64-6 - September 8, 2017
- Postscripts: Week 1 - September 7, 2017