SATURDAY, APRIL 2, 2016
Photos by Kendall Webb
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – The Rice Owls dropped the opener of a three-game series at Middle Tennessee Friday night before bouncing back to take two out of three against the host Blue Raiders over the weekend.
With the series win, the Owls improve to 17-10 on the season and at 7-2 in league play, stayed within a game of the Conference USA co-leaders Florida Atlantic and Southern Miss at 8-1. Florida Atlantic entered the weekend ranked No. 15 in the RoadTripSports.com College Baseball Top 30 while Southern Miss was at No. 29.
Rice is unranked, but has now won eight out of nine games after starting the season 9-9. Middle Tennessee, meanwhile, is 4-1 in its last five Friday starts, but has only managed a 2-8 record on the weekend in that span. That’s left the Blue Raiders at the bottom of the Conference USA standings at 2-7 tied with the UTSA Roadrunners. It won’t get any easier for the Blue Raiders (13-15) who have to travel to Hattiesburg, Mississippi, to face the conference-leading Southern Miss Golden Eagles who are 22-7 overall.
Rice will host UAB with the bigger league series still to come.
- Sewanee holds off Austin College for 28-20 win on The Mountain - September 16, 2018
- Fighting Hawks fly past Delta Devils in 35-7 rout - August 30, 2018
- Hawaii holds off late Colorado State rally in 43-34 stunner - August 26, 2018
- Bethel (TN) stuns No. 2 Reinhardt in 2018 opener, 31-21 - August 24, 2018
- College Football America 2018 Yearbook rolls with the Tide on cover - July 24, 2018
- 2017 RoadTripSports.com All-America Team - December 21, 2017
- College Football Playoff Projection - December 3, 2017
- College Football America RoadTripReplay Podcast: Episode 8 - December 1, 2017
- Analysis: College Football Playoff Scenarios - November 26, 2017
- King’s big day leads Houston past Navy 24-14 - November 26, 2017