SATURDAY, APRIL 2, 2016
Photos by Kendall Webb
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – The Rice Owls dropped the opener of a three-game series at Middle Tennessee Friday night before bouncing back to take two out of three against the host Blue Raiders over the weekend.
With the series win, the Owls improve to 17-10 on the season and at 7-2 in league play, stayed within a game of the Conference USA co-leaders Florida Atlantic and Southern Miss at 8-1. Florida Atlantic entered the weekend ranked No. 15 in the RoadTripSports.com College Baseball Top 30 while Southern Miss was at No. 29.
Rice is unranked, but has now won eight out of nine games after starting the season 9-9. Middle Tennessee, meanwhile, is 4-1 in its last five Friday starts, but has only managed a 2-8 record on the weekend in that span. That’s left the Blue Raiders at the bottom of the Conference USA standings at 2-7 tied with the UTSA Roadrunners. It won’t get any easier for the Blue Raiders (13-15) who have to travel to Hattiesburg, Mississippi, to face the conference-leading Southern Miss Golden Eagles who are 22-7 overall.
Rice will host UAB with the bigger league series still to come.
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Sooners squash Frogs’ playoff hopes in 38-20 win - November 16, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017
- Whitwell boots Gordonsville from TSSAA playoffs - November 15, 2017
- CFP Selection Committee releases third set of Top 25 rankings - November 14, 2017
- FWAA-NFF Super 16 reshaped by Georgia, Notre Dame losses - November 12, 2017
- North Dakota’s 2017 state champions are crowned - November 11, 2017
- High School Headlines: More state champs to be crowned this weekend - November 10, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 11 - November 9, 2017