SATURDAY, APRIL 2, 2016
Photos by Kendall Webb
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – The Rice Owls dropped the opener of a three-game series at Middle Tennessee Friday night before bouncing back to take two out of three against the host Blue Raiders over the weekend.
With the series win, the Owls improve to 17-10 on the season and at 7-2 in league play, stayed within a game of the Conference USA co-leaders Florida Atlantic and Southern Miss at 8-1. Florida Atlantic entered the weekend ranked No. 15 in the RoadTripSports.com College Baseball Top 30 while Southern Miss was at No. 29.
Rice is unranked, but has now won eight out of nine games after starting the season 9-9. Middle Tennessee, meanwhile, is 4-1 in its last five Friday starts, but has only managed a 2-8 record on the weekend in that span. That’s left the Blue Raiders at the bottom of the Conference USA standings at 2-7 tied with the UTSA Roadrunners. It won’t get any easier for the Blue Raiders (13-15) who have to travel to Hattiesburg, Mississippi, to face the conference-leading Southern Miss Golden Eagles who are 22-7 overall.
Rice will host UAB with the bigger league series still to come.
- Cowboys ride past Wildcats in 55-10 rout - September 19, 2017
- Georgetown’s defense points way to victory against Skyhawks - September 19, 2017
- Thorobreds hang on down stretch for first win of 2017 - September 19, 2017
- Kentucky Country Day routs Bethlehem in 47-0 shutout - September 18, 2017
- Handicapping the major college football national championship - September 17, 2017
- FWAA-NFF Super 16 Poll Week 3 - September 17, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 3 - September 16, 2017
- RoadTripReplay: College Football America Week 2 Podcast - September 14, 2017
- High School Headlines: Hurricanes wreaking havoc on the high school season - September 14, 2017
- Maxwell Football Club to promote Schneider Scale during 2017 season - September 14, 2017