We enter the weekend with a new No. 1 team in the RoadTripSports.com College Baseball Top 30 as the Florida Gators are in the pole position. The Gators (22-1) survived a midweek challenge from the No. 16 Florida Atlantic Owls Tuesday night with a 2-1 win, and kick off a three-game series against the Kentucky Wildcats this evening.
The No. 2 Vanderbilt Commodores (17-3) had occupied our No. 1 spot all season until stumbling twice against the No. 11 Mississippi State Bulldogs last week at home in Nashville. The Commodores (17-4) salvaged a win in the season finale but lost again Tuesday night to the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders for their third loss in four games. They’ll need a big series win at the Missouri Tigers this weekend or they could slip again in our next rankings.
The Texas A&M Aggies are ranked third, and at 20-2, they would jump over Vanderbilt if they get through the weekend unscathed at home against the No. 12 LSU Tigers. The Aggies got the series started with a 6-1 win last night, and the three-game series continues through Saturday.
In the No. 4 slot, the Oregon State Beavers (16-3) entered a weekend series at No. 18 California last night, and the Golden Bears defended their home diamond with a 6-2 win. The series continues this evening, and the Beavers will likely need to win the final two games to hold onto their current ranking.
The No. 5 TCU Horned Frogs (17-4) round out our current top five, and they kicked off a weekend series at Texas last night with a 4-3 loss in Austin. The desperate Longhorns are trying to turn things around, and the Frogs will need two big wins to likely hold onto their current spot.
The rest of the top ten includes the No. 6 Miami Hurricanes (17-4); the No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels (18-3); the No. 8 Louisville Cardinals (17-4); the No. 9 South Carolina Gamecocks (21-2); and the No. 10 Ole Miss Rebels (20-3). The Gamecocks and Rebels got our Series of the Week started last night in Oxford, Mississippi, with the visitors from Carolina coming away with a 5-1 win. The rest of the Nos. 6-10 lineup are also involved in some of the weekend’s top series with the No. 6 Hurricanes paying a visit to No. 14 Clemson while the No. 7 Tar Heels host Georgia Tech and the No. 8 Cardinals entertain the No. 17 Virginia Cavaliers.
The Weekend’s Top Matchups
Thursday, March 24 – Sunday, March 27
Series of the Week
No. 9 South Carolina at No. 10 Ole Miss
Other Matchups between Top 30 Teams
No. 12 LSU at No. 3 Texas A&M
No. 4 Oregon State at No. 18 California
No. 6 Miami (FL) at No. 14 Clemson
No. 19 Georgia Tech at No. 7 North Carolina
No. 17 Virginia at No. 8 Louisville
No. 20 NC State at No. 13 Florida State
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Sooners squash Frogs’ playoff hopes in 38-20 win - November 16, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017
- Whitwell boots Gordonsville from TSSAA playoffs - November 15, 2017
- CFP Selection Committee releases third set of Top 25 rankings - November 14, 2017
- FWAA-NFF Super 16 reshaped by Georgia, Notre Dame losses - November 12, 2017
- North Dakota’s 2017 state champions are crowned - November 11, 2017
- High School Headlines: More state champs to be crowned this weekend - November 10, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 11 - November 9, 2017