We enter the weekend with a new No. 1 team in the RoadTripSports.com College Baseball Top 30 as the Florida Gators are in the pole position. The Gators (22-1) survived a midweek challenge from the No. 16 Florida Atlantic Owls Tuesday night with a 2-1 win, and kick off a three-game series against the Kentucky Wildcats this evening.
The No. 2 Vanderbilt Commodores (17-3) had occupied our No. 1 spot all season until stumbling twice against the No. 11 Mississippi State Bulldogs last week at home in Nashville. The Commodores (17-4) salvaged a win in the season finale but lost again Tuesday night to the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders for their third loss in four games. They’ll need a big series win at the Missouri Tigers this weekend or they could slip again in our next rankings.
The Texas A&M Aggies are ranked third, and at 20-2, they would jump over Vanderbilt if they get through the weekend unscathed at home against the No. 12 LSU Tigers. The Aggies got the series started with a 6-1 win last night, and the three-game series continues through Saturday.
In the No. 4 slot, the Oregon State Beavers (16-3) entered a weekend series at No. 18 California last night, and the Golden Bears defended their home diamond with a 6-2 win. The series continues this evening, and the Beavers will likely need to win the final two games to hold onto their current ranking.
The No. 5 TCU Horned Frogs (17-4) round out our current top five, and they kicked off a weekend series at Texas last night with a 4-3 loss in Austin. The desperate Longhorns are trying to turn things around, and the Frogs will need two big wins to likely hold onto their current spot.
The rest of the top ten includes the No. 6 Miami Hurricanes (17-4); the No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels (18-3); the No. 8 Louisville Cardinals (17-4); the No. 9 South Carolina Gamecocks (21-2); and the No. 10 Ole Miss Rebels (20-3). The Gamecocks and Rebels got our Series of the Week started last night in Oxford, Mississippi, with the visitors from Carolina coming away with a 5-1 win. The rest of the Nos. 6-10 lineup are also involved in some of the weekend’s top series with the No. 6 Hurricanes paying a visit to No. 14 Clemson while the No. 7 Tar Heels host Georgia Tech and the No. 8 Cardinals entertain the No. 17 Virginia Cavaliers.
The Weekend’s Top Matchups
Thursday, March 24 – Sunday, March 27
Series of the Week
No. 9 South Carolina at No. 10 Ole Miss
Other Matchups between Top 30 Teams
No. 12 LSU at No. 3 Texas A&M
No. 4 Oregon State at No. 18 California
No. 6 Miami (FL) at No. 14 Clemson
No. 19 Georgia Tech at No. 7 North Carolina
No. 17 Virginia at No. 8 Louisville
No. 20 NC State at No. 13 Florida State
- Cowboys ride past Wildcats in 55-10 rout - September 19, 2017
- Georgetown’s defense points way to victory against Skyhawks - September 19, 2017
- Thorobreds hang on down stretch for first win of 2017 - September 19, 2017
- Kentucky Country Day routs Bethlehem in 47-0 shutout - September 18, 2017
- Handicapping the major college football national championship - September 17, 2017
- FWAA-NFF Super 16 Poll Week 3 - September 17, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 3 - September 16, 2017
- RoadTripReplay: College Football America Week 2 Podcast - September 14, 2017
- High School Headlines: Hurricanes wreaking havoc on the high school season - September 14, 2017
- Maxwell Football Club to promote Schneider Scale during 2017 season - September 14, 2017