Alabama Crimson Tide tight end (2013-current)
(November 19, 1994 – present)
Autauga Academy (Prattville, AL)
Class of 2013 No. 19 National Prospect
Class of 2013 No. 1 Tight End
Class of 2013 No. 2 Alabama Prospect
O.J. Howard was the nation’s top-ranked tight end prospect among the Class of 2013 freshmen. He played in 10 games as a true freshman that fall hauling in 14 passes for 269 yards and two touchdowns for the Crimson Tide.
His 2015 sophomore season was about the same – 17 catches for 260 yards – although Howard didn’t score any touchdowns. He continued to make contributions as a junior in 2015 even being named a semifinalist for the 2015 John Mackey Award; however, he again failed to find the end zone in the Tide’s first 14 games. With one final chance in the College Football Playoff National Championship Game versus the Clemson Tigers, however, he finally broke through with a tremendous game hauling in five catches for 208 yards and two touchdowns. In terms of receiving yards, it was the best performance by an Alabama tight end in program history, and it was the fifth-best receiving yards total by a Tide player regardless of position. For his efforts, he was named the game’s Offensive Most Valuable Player. He finished the season with 38 catches for 602 yards and two touchdowns.
His performance in the national championship game led to extended discussion about his potential in the upcoming NFL Draft where projections had him soaring up the draft board. Nevertheless, Howard ultimately decided to return to Alabama for his senior season in the fall of 2016.
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Sooners squash Frogs’ playoff hopes in 38-20 win - November 16, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017
- Whitwell boots Gordonsville from TSSAA playoffs - November 15, 2017
- CFP Selection Committee releases third set of Top 25 rankings - November 14, 2017
- FWAA-NFF Super 16 reshaped by Georgia, Notre Dame losses - November 12, 2017
- North Dakota’s 2017 state champions are crowned - November 11, 2017
- High School Headlines: More state champs to be crowned this weekend - November 10, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 11 - November 9, 2017