Notre Dame Fighting Irish linebacker (2013-current)
(June 14, 1995 – present)
- 2014 AP All-America Second Team
- 2015 Butkus Award Winner
- 2015 Consensus All-American (ACFA, AP, Walter Camp, The Sporting News)
- 2015 FWAA All-America Second Team
- 2015 RoadTripSports.com’s All-America Defense Starting Lineup
Bishop Luers (Fort Wayne, IN)
Class of 2013 No. 2 National Prospect
Class of 2013 No. 1 Linebacker
Class of 2013 No. 1 Indiana Prospect
Jaylon Smith was the No. 2 national prep prospect coming out of Bishop Luers (Fort Wayne, IN) – only a two-hour drive from the Notre Dame campus in South Bend, Indiana – so it didn’t take much convincing for the top-ranked linebacker recruit in the country to sign with the Fighting Irish in 2013.
That fall, he immediately made his mark starting all 13 games for the Irish as a true freshman at linebacker. By the time his 2014 sophomore season rolled around, Smith was already a presence on most preseason award watch lists for linebackers, and he didn’t disappoint. With 111 tackles including nine for loss (with 3.5 sacks), Smith earned his first All-America credentials – a Second Team nod from the Associated Press.
Smith’s 2015 season yielded even bigger accolades as he etched his name in college football history as the winner of the 2015 Butkus Award. He achieved Consensus All-America status as well being named to the First Team of four organizations (ACFA, AP, The Sporting News and Walter Camp) – falling just one team short of Unanimous All-America honors when the membership of the FWAA voted him a Second Team All-America. Additionally, he was named a member of our own RoadTripSports.com All-America Defense Starting Lineup and received consideration for the Bednarik Award after being named a semifinalist.
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 12 - November 17, 2017
- Sooners squash Frogs’ playoff hopes in 38-20 win - November 16, 2017
- Longhorns closing in on bowl eligibility with win over Kansas - November 16, 2017
- Cumberland crushes Kentucky Christian 62-23 - November 15, 2017
- Whitwell boots Gordonsville from TSSAA playoffs - November 15, 2017
- CFP Selection Committee releases third set of Top 25 rankings - November 14, 2017
- FWAA-NFF Super 16 reshaped by Georgia, Notre Dame losses - November 12, 2017
- North Dakota’s 2017 state champions are crowned - November 11, 2017
- High School Headlines: More state champs to be crowned this weekend - November 10, 2017
- The Road Report: College Football America Week 11 - November 9, 2017